Thread: "High Res" Photo for "Personal Use"

"High Res" Photo for "Personal Use"

Someone asked me for advice on a situation that I see all too often, and it's been a while since we discussed it, I wanted to address it here for newer folks.

I've experienced myself and hear a lot about photographers being approached by people asking for a "high res file" of a photo "for personal use", and they usually expect it for free.

First, keep in mind that no one is obligated to take my advice, but I hope that no one bites on these offers, as I think that it is a horrible example of a photographer being taken advantage of, and also severely opens up the chance for misuse of the photo.

I don't understand why anyone would need a "2 meg file" for personal use. If they want a print, then ask the photographer for a print. This request sounds as if the person plans on printing the photo over and over and over again. Once someone has a file of that size, they can almost do whatever they want with it.

I would say to ask them what "personal use" entails. Let them know that if he plans on printing the file, to let you know what size he would like to print, and you will mail him one of that size (then you pick your price based on that desired size). I'd also that in order to protect your work, that you do not send out high-res versions of the photo.

This guy's practically trying to take ownership of your photos for free. This is like completely selling away the rights of your photo, and I would charge $2,000 if that was the case. Though it might be tempting to slap the person, take the high road and maybe try what I said above.

I've also been asked exactly how to SAY it to someone in an email. This is how I would word it:

• [list:57bca]Hi _________,

Thank you for your interest in my photo. I am glad you enjoy my work. Creating my photos requires costly equipment and is very time consuming.

Because of that, giving away high resolution versions of my photo opens myself up to abuses of misuse, including printing of the photo.

If by "personal use" you mean that you intend to print my photo, I would be more than happy to sell you a print if you let me know what size you'd like.

Again, thank you for your interest and kind words.

Kind regards,

-Pik Tore (or whatever your name is)
    [/list:u:57bca]

I hope this helps some of you if you are ever in this situation. Please ask questions, or share your thoughts and experiences.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: "High Res" Photo for "Personal Use"

I completely agree with you Phil. I've had two or three similar requests recently, and I usually just ignore them, but I do like the wording in your reply, and have thought of using something similar to it. I've just been too lazy to bother responding to these requests.

This sounds like the same guy who asks everyone for high res photos of 777's. I've stopped being that nice to him, and basically tell him to go screw off now.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    This sounds like the same guy who asks everyone for high res photos of 777's. I've stopped being that nice to him, and basically tell him to go screw off now.
    By chance, does his name start with a "D" and end with "annis"?
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]