Thread: Howard Beach 2/21-Park Police encounter

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

Howard Beach 2/21-Park Police encounter

As mentioned before, I went down to Howard Beach today to enjoy the clear weather and to catch some 31L departures. I arrived at the location around 10:20am. In about 15 minutes of arriving there, a NY Park Police squad car pulled up nearby. We greeted each other in a friendly way and the officers asked why I was here etc. One officer asked for I.D. (school I.D.) and I allowed the other officer to search my school bag. The officer with my I.D. took down my personal information (name, home adress, home phone #, height, weight, etc.) We chated a little about my aviation intrests, gave my bag back, and they allowed me to stay at the location and continue spotting. They stayed at the beach talking to another car for about an hour and left. Overall, I was pleased of how the officers handled the situation and told me they have had questioned spotters like me before in this location.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Re: Howard Beach 2/21-Park Police encounter

Hey, Im sorry to hear about that, but at least the situation got solved the right way.. I remember that one day I spotted from Crossbay Blvd where the small park is at and a NYPD van approached me while I was taking a shot of an Emirates A340-500 banking back in 2006, and asked what I was doing and I said that I was taking pictures of some planes taking off and that I have interest in aviation and took my whole information down and they asked me to start walking... I was guessing that it was because I live in the Bronx and that I took public transportation.. I wasnt sure wasnt sure why excactly. But I was calm and very possitive to the officers with no problem and just like that, they asked me to leave.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

I've had Park Police stop and check me out at Howard Beach in the past as well. (They are actually US Park Police, as that area is part of the Gateway National Recreation Area.) It was a positive encounter much as yours.

Do they stop and check EVERYONE or only those taking pictures?

It's a public place, so everyone is allowed to be there. Aviation photography can be considered suspicious, although sometimes it's excessive.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    It's a public place, so everyone is allowed to be there. Aviation photography can be considered suspicious, although sometimes it's excessive.
    Yes some of it does seems excessive but as we have written and read many times, 9/11 changed many things. Havent
    been over there in years.

But those "sacrafice" rituals which actually face the airport are not suspicious? Just litterbugs I guess.