Thread: HDTVs

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

HDTVs

So as some of you have seen, I have a projector in my living room. It's great for things like movies and the Super Bowl, but not so good for general TV watching and gaming (you know how if you play Guitar Hero for too long, it makes everything scroll? Much worse on a 100" screen). And prices on HDTVs have finally fallen enough to make it worthwhile for me to buy a normal TV.

I'm looking for something about 32", and I can spend $750. I'd rather buy locally than online, because it's going to be tough to get a box that big shipped to my apartment, and I enjoy giving all of my disposable income to B&H and J&R.

Anyone have one they like, or otherwise have recommendations? I like the Olevia 32" models, but I can't seem to find one at a reasonable price anywhere except NewEgg...

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: HDTVs

You have a projection TV?

Get the HD projector. Seen some great imagery!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I know it's not local, but if you can spend a weekday at home to wait for UPS, try Amazon, no tax and free shipping...i.e. you can do better than the Olevia with $750.
    Here are all their 30-39in TVs: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_6_0 ... PDKIKX0DER

Also try PC Richard...roommate got a 42in Panasonic for $850 a month ago.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    You have a projection TV?

Get the HD projector. Seen some great imagery!
    Not a projection TV...a front projector. Kinda like what some of you probably have in the conference rooms in your office, except it's designed for home theather (and yes, it is HD). It's freakin' awesome, but it only works with the lights off and the lag is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Spotter
    I know it's not local, but if you can spend a weekday at home to wait for UPS, try Amazon, no tax and free shipping...i.e. you can do better than the Olevia with $750.
    Here are all their 30-39in TVs: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_6_0 ... PDKIKX0DER

Also try PC Richard...roommate got a 42in Panasonic for $850 a month ago.
    That's the problem...waiting for UPS is very problematic...

PC Richard is a good idea...I'll stop by there after work tonight. I have to go there to look for a new air conditioner anyway.

Has anyone ever shopped at Sixth Ave Electronics? I saw on Amazon that they have the Olevia for $618, as well as some other models of interest...and there's one in Garden City, which makes all sorts of things easy for me...

Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    Has anyone ever shopped at Sixth Ave Electronics? I saw on Amazon that they have the Olevia for $618, as well as some other models of interest...and there's one in Garden City, which makes all sorts of things easy for me...
    I have - good service and decent prices. Haven't bought anything as large as an HDTV from them, but I know a number of people who have and are satisfied with them. They advertise heavily in Newsday (don't know about the NYT) so be sure to look for special deals.

Also compare the warranties when searching, I've read one of the popular value brands (forget if it was Olevia or Vizio) makes you ship the TV to California for service. Not a big deal for an iPod, but sort of a hassle for a big TV.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

We just put in a Panasonic 32" Vieta in the bedroom and it is great. We got it at PC Richards who have a huge assortment of different brands of HDTVs. They always have sales and the workers are pretty nice. We've bought a number of appliances there in the past year and never have had a problem.
    BTW, we replaced our OLD dinosaur TV (over 10 years old) which weighed a FRIGGIN TON!!! OMG my wife and I had to carry it down from the bedroom to the garage and I thought we'd bust a nut(well I would!!! :lol: ). Interesting that I put it out by the curb on Sat. morning(actually slid it out) to see if anyone would want it and by Sat afternoon it was gone. Good riddance!!!

I have a Samsung LCD and its fantastic, no compliants what so ever. I'd stick with either Samsung, Sharp, Sony, or Panasonic. Olevia's are absolute junk.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I have a Samsung LCD and its fantastic, no compliants what so ever. I'd stick with either Samsung, Sharp, Sony, or Panasonic. Olevia's are absolute junk.
    Interesting...I've never heard anything less than stellar about Olevia... (a couple of my co-workers have them) and not such great things about Panasonic. I know the Sharp Aquos TVs are great, too...the co-worker who put this idea into my head just bought an Aquos 42" and its almost as my projector. :D

I'm going to head out to Sixth Ave Electrionics on Sunday night and see what I can find...

Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Interesting...I've never heard anything less than stellar about Olevia... (a couple of my co-workers have them) and not such great things about Panasonic. I know the Sharp Aquos TVs are great, too...the co-worker who put this idea into my head just bought an Aquos 42" and its almost as my projector. :D

I'm going to head out to Sixth Ave Electrionics on Sunday night and see what I can find...
    My company used Olevia's and removed them late last year because they were always something going wrong with them.