Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If TWA was still around today as of 2008 (question)

If TWA was still around today as of 2008 (question)

My question is this, If TWA was still around today, what would the fleet be like, and what routes would they fly. I really miss that airline..

The fleets that came to my was

MD-80s
    737NGs
    757 & A330
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Re: If TWA was still around today as of 2008 (question)

Good thread. I can't say I have enough knowledge about their route structure to make a good guess, but I would think that the 717 would probably be alive and fairly strong, and also the MD-80s. 757/767 probably as well. You'd see a lot of what AA has, but there would almost have to be a larger one as well, right?

Again, I don't know much about their route structure, but either a 777 or 744? If they had A330s, maybe the A340 would have been a good choice.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

From what i remember as for the longhaul planes TWA at one point had the A330 on order, but they were canceled.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

They indeed has that sexy 330 on order. Along with the 318
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Based on what TWA had on the books their fleet would be the following.

Long Haul
    A330-200/300

Med haul

Short to Med Haul
    A320

Short Haul
    A318

Left over
    Late Model MD-80s
    TWA had the last MD-80s built.

All of the 767s would have been gone by now along with the DC-9s. TWA was also planning on leasing 2 777s for their 2003 planned STL-NRT route which they had rights to.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    TWA was also planning on leasing 2 777s for their 2003 planned STL-NRT route which they had rights to.
    Looking at STL today it's hard to picture that it was once an international hub.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

And - they have that new runway (which we knew as W1-W when it was first started) that was originally brought it to decrease the load on the main 2 runways.

I don't think it would have only been TWA's expansion at STL - there were talks in the old days of EI and LH coming into STL as well. If that had happened, I suspect B6 would be in there now as well.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

I would still hope for that JFK-ATH on their 741s ;) But its nice to dream eh :cry:
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    TWA was also planning on leasing 2 777s for their 2003 planned STL-NRT route which they had rights to.
    Looking at STL today it's hard to picture that it was once an international hub.
    Matt at the time STL use to serve London and Paris plus a variety of Mexican cities. STL was never a huge international hub for TW but rather JFK was the main gateway at one time serving the following European/Mid East cities all at the same time. During the 70's, 80's and 90's TWA toppled Pan Am as the largest airline flying to Europe.

London
    Paris (Euro hub city for TWA)
    Madrid
    Barcelona
    Lisbon
    Amsterdam
    Brussels
    Frankfurt
    Zurich
    Milan
    Rome
    Copenhagen
    Stockholm
    Istanbul
    Athens
    Cairo
    Tel-Aviv
    Riyadh
    Vienna

TWA also served the following through their Paris hub using 727s.
    Geneva
    Munich
    Zurich
    Rome
    Athens
    Tel-Aviv
    Berlin via Frankfurt

In the mid to late 90s TWA pulled down most European routes to only London, Paris, Milan, Rome, Tel-Aviv, and Riyadh. At the time they changed their focus to the Caribbean opening a focus city in San Juan. At their peak they had over 25% of the market in San Juan taking on American very well. This is one of the main reasons AA bought TWA, to remove a highly successful and growing competitor in one of their key markets. There's a great book called "TWA an airline and its Airplanes," which goes over TWA's history throughout the years. Its a very good book.

That reminded me, I was flying back from Florida on Tuesday on G4 MD80 and the food carts still had TWA logos on them :)
    Another interesting detail is that most signage was in Spanish first followed by English. Someone told me that American sent some of its MD80s south of the border so I thought it might of been a TWA maddog that became AA, then went down south and then became a G4, all in just a few years. That would of been pretty cool :roll: Sorry, didn't think about getting the tail number so the experts could track it down here ;)
    Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.

Ahh yes it would be interesting to see what TWA would be operating right now. Tommy seemed to be spot on about the aircraft choices, but I do wonder along with the A330 announcements would the A350 also be ordered over the 787?

Matt- Tommy is right, for the longest time, JFK was TWA's true intl hub, STL hardly served anything intl. All I remember is standing at gates C-34, 36 seeing flights to CUN, YVR, YYZ, LGW, CDG as the main intl ones. So one could say STL was the domestic hub partly, and anyone going intl to euros went thru JFK. We had such large planes flying STL-JFK it was one of the flagships of TWA, STL-JFK, L1011, 747, 767, 757, MD80's man we had every aircraft on the route, such a shame to only see 2 RJ STL-JFK, Eagle and Comair.

Dima- I love seeing old TWA signage at airports and planes. I am willing to bet your aircraft was indeed sold to a mexican airline then somehow wound up with G4. AA sold a few of their MD80's to other countries, one of the well known one was N912TW which crashed with One Two Go in Phuket.

I'll definetly have to buy the TWA book tommy mentioned.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by dimamo1983
    ...the food carts still had TWA logos on them.
    i would love one of them in mt house somewhere!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

If TWA were still alive.....
    I only remember flying TWA one time. The route was from LGA-PBI r/t in 1998. I really liked it (but I would have rather flown Delta since I used to be a DL freak). I had no complaints about the airline. I only wish that they were still around today.

I think I would be able to appreciate TWA more if I had been old enough to understand its routes, fleet, and legacy. I was only 11 when they were acquired by AA, and 7 when I flew them. All I know was that TWA and Pan Am were to of the industries largest air carriers (in the USA) and I think they were very fierce rivals at one time.

I wonder how this new open skies agreement that is about to take effect would have affected TWA?
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan
    I wonder how this new open skies agreement that is about to take effect would have affected TWA?
    I can almost see the return of JFK-LHR once again!! :)

Since the last TWA flights out of LHR was to JFK in July of 1991. Here is a youtube Video of it.
    Kleenex beware!

[youtubetp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CT-cSpTjBU[/youtubeAlex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

"It's been nice knowin ya"

Kleenex please.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012