Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Democratic debates on 21-January

Re: Democratic debates on 21-January

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    The complexities of running a country have changed a lot.

A President with a bit less experience or knowledge can easily apply his vision with a strong cabinet. I think that the cabinet a President picks is just as important as the President him/herself.

I like Obama...I really do. I'd vote for him over Romney if it came down to that. However, it seems that he doesn't have the networking accomplished, or enough buddies in Washington to put together a good team.

Like for me. Sure, I think I can make decisions for the site, but I don't have all the skills to apply absolutely everything I can to it.. Without a team to help do the work, the research, the moderating, programming, etc., I need a skilled team.
    Phil what could be more complex then to establish a new country? The foundations and building blocks of nation building are amazing complex. I think it’s shortsighted of us to think that 231 years was any less complex then it is today. Just because the world wasn't a short plane ride or phone call away doesn't mean the complexities didn't exist. The world was far less stable back then, then it is today. Sometimes in life you have to put your faith in someone that represents a new way of doing things. Obama has proven to be a leader; his track record so far from what I read is pretty good. AT the very least what we need someone right is someone who is likeable, at the very least!!!

Not to go off-topic discussing 1770 politics, but I'm not saying it wasn't complex back then. But I think it's tougher to run the US today than back then.

When this country was formed, it was a medley of ideas that put it all into motion. There were much less mechanics in the federal operation.

With 50 states and 350 million people today, it's tougher domestically. Our foreign affairs today deal with almost every country and just as many languages, as opposed to discussions with just France, England, Spain and Russia, which were 95% of our foreign involvement back then.

Balancing our budget, I think, is the toughest part. How many departments do we have today, and how much more red tape, and everywhere our money goes, corporations and politicians pushing and pulling....it doesn't even compare to the smaller financial responsibilites from back then.

People with amazing vision are rare. Obama has that. I don't think Hillary does. People that can truly execute that vision, however, are 100 times more uncommon.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

I don't think lack of time to network will be an issue for Obama. He's been in the Senate for three years...that's plenty of time to know where a lot of people stand and who is an expert on what. You don't need to know someone well to know they'd do a good job in X cabinet position.

I first realized how bad Bush was going to be in early 2001 when he packed his cabinet with yes-people who had previously demonstrated loyalty, almost all of whom were Republicans. That isn't how a responsible leader conducts himself in a democracy. Obama's lack of networking, combined with his vision, will lead him to surround himself with a good team.