Thread: Civil Air Patrol

Civil Air Patrol

So, I am thinking about joining Iowa CAP (sounds exciting, doesn't it :roll: ) as a way to build time and also give back to the community. Anyone with CAP experience here? I am interested in good things, bad things, and everything in the middle. How well are planes maintained? How much do you get to (have to?) fly? Any stats on accident rate vs others flying similar types? How strict is it given that they are under the Air Force?

Thanks,

Dima

edit: typo
    Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.

Re: Civil Air Patrol

Definately aren't that strict on standards... CAP's Headquarters is at Maxwell AFB in Alabama... You should see some of the CAP "officers" who rolled (both literally and figuratively) through there... I don't think some of them could fit in an airplane. Don't know how much each unit flies, but I talked with one of the CAP guys and I got the impression they don't fly all that much...

I would write up what I know about the organization, but it really varies from state to state and squadron to squadron for that matter. Some fly a lot, some don't. I know the NY and CT squadrons have a bad reputation amongst a lot of folks in the area, but also know of squadrons from other states that have great reputations (RI and VT come to mind).

Many squadrons in the area are strict regarding where you can fly and often limit your flights to specific state borders without permission from a superior, but aren't that tight when it comes to other issues.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

I've only had one interaction with the Civil Air Patrol, and it was at LGA Kids Day a few years ago.

Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i remember that phil, all because you stepped over the yellow line. LOL! now, what did i do with that shirt?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

lmao Phil, you look stunned in that first shot.

From "Air Force Blues"...

Sweet, does that mean that the glass 182 also has missiles attached to it? Can't wait :mrgreen:
    Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.

I was a Cadet back when I was 12. My unit really didn't do much. And IMO Florida Wing as a whole, was rather boring.

I'm an AFJROTC cadet now (AS III) and can say the same. Nothing much aviation related. Just class, drill, and some customs & courtesies.
    Puts the MIA in NYCA