Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BA 777 lands short of runway at Heathrow

Re: BA 777 lands short of runway at Heathrow

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Looks like computer failure is being blamed.
    I know, I know, they should have had a Mac...

AP (via Breitbart):
    Heathrow Crash Report: Engines Failed
    Jan 18 02:12 PM US/Eastern
    By TARIQ PANJA
    Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) - The engines on a British Airways plane that crash-landed at London's Heathrow airport failed to respond for a demand to increase thrust about two miles before it reached the runway, a preliminary accident report said Friday. Read more...
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Jeez both engines failing to respond, hmmm why is something telling me this isn't going to be water leaking into the battery units like the Qantas 744? This is very interesting.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Raises questions? Such as?

Computers have been flying planes since the L-1011 entered service (it was the first with autoland capability). They aren't going anywhere.

Computers do what their operators tell them. Nothing more, and nothing less.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

it is. didn't the UAL 777 that diverted over the northern atlantic have the same issue of engines flaming out and not responding to throttle input?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Well it is very sad to see a first Boeing 777 to be written off as of course they are my favorate aircraft.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

1. Engines were at power when impact! (look at the dirt in the compressors!)
    2. Engines did not respond (DUH!!!! if the engines are at a very low n2, then you throw the throttles foward.....ENGINES DO NOT RESPOND!

my take:
    Crew did not realize the power on the engine was that low....(possible autopilot autothrottle)
    speed decays.....
    F/O- Were getting really slow...
    Pilot- Throttles to the stops....
    Narrator - 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3.........
    Pilot-THROTTLES TO THE STOPPS.....
    F/O- They are!!!
    (sounds of throttles hitting the idle stops and then full power again)
    Pilot- *$#%in POWER..POWER....POWER
    F/O- Awww Crap, that is the spotlight I need for my backyard!

(my version will be a little different but should be close!)
    Time will tell and the new digital recorders in the 777 should produce some awesomely clean results on what happened....expect to see a few videos from the NTSB on this one!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Just incase anyone does not know...jet engines are slow to react if the power is low....they had serious problems with the 727 doing this exact crash with impact short of the runway due to pilots not knowing how to properly handle a 727 with a large flap and slow engine reaction time.

it usually takes about 8 seconds to get to full power....the engine needs to spool up before you can really get the kick in the pants.... if you are close to minimums and your n2 on the engine is very low and about to stall....you just ate the farm.

Time will bring Facts
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

there already was a flight sim video i saw on ABC the day after the crash.

fred, you're right about the engines being slow to spool up, but why do you think the NTSB is going to have anything to do with the investigation? it's a british airlines airplane, that crashed in the UK.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Boeing and the NTSB will be given the Flight Data Recorder info...there may not be a report by them, but they will play with the data and I am sure they will hook it into their sim. I think you will see a video released.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    there already was a flight sim video i saw on ABC the day after the crash.
    Speculation and eye candy... it is way too soon for all the data to be processed...then give it 3months to a year to be released. I can do the same thing with flight simuator...does not mean it will be accurate.

next question, was the a/c doing a CDA (continuous descent approach) or was it on a standard non-CDA?

Well, I really do not want to stop at an approach type, was the auto pilot on with the autothrottles? What was the N2 on throttle up? I want to see the throttle possions only then coupled with the engine characteristics. Did they run out of Columbian coffee (could account for not going around).

Fred, based on your theories how do you explain the loss of cockpit instruments just prior to the accident ?

LGA777

I am looking at one piece of fact....the engines were under power on impact. I do not have all the facts... I have one

I would love to know what happened (No real good report on everything yet and still a lot of "I was told by an expert")