Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta in Merger Talks with United, Northwest

Re: Delta in Merger Talks with United, Northwest

I'd read that Delta not only got some Pan Am A310's but also had tried some new builds. I also believe this was a major decision in going with the 763ER. I can't imagine DL, with Boeing being such a big creditor of theirs and operating such a big Boeing fleet, sticking with Airbus.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

I think it's obvious that if one needed to go, the A330 would de dropped. I think Delta has 36 767s, which is a type that is paired with their large 757 fleet (pilots' rating is paired together). There's no reason to keep the A330s (31 of them), unless they will want to hold onto them for certain NW routes they will keep until they can replace the type with more 767s or 787s.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I have to laugh a bit guys about dropping this and dropping that aircraft type...here's the deal....NO aircraft that is under a contracted lease will or can be dropped without the airline paying a HUGE payout to the leasing company.

Also have you asked yourself how will this new airline operate the routes it operates now if it starts removing planes from its fleet, especially long haul? Delta doesn't have the fleet to operate a combined DL/NWA or DL/UAL route system. Also why would it be so bad for Delta to operate a combined Airbus/Boeing fleet? Because of fleet commonality??? HELLO!! Delta operates a variety of Boeing products now and MD products that aren't as some say "compatible" *rolls eyes*. UAL and NWA operate even a greater variety of aircraft, why you ask....? Well because they need to. These are comprehensive network carriers that need an extremely diverse fleet to serve the markets they serve. To even compare them to airlines like WN, B6, and AirTran who only operate two fleet types (which btw aren't common to each other either) is just silly, you can't compare the two. Honestly guys you need to remove the idea that a common fleet type is the end all be all, its not.

Please go read the studies on ATW and what the other industry experts say about this common fleet type idea, its one of the biggest urban myths in the industry today. Just because some LCC's have a limited amount of aircraft type doesn't make it the trend for the industry. The LCC's serve a very limited market and they only require one or two types of aircraft. DAL, NWA, and UAL serve a HUGE market that requires very different aircraft to meet its needs.

One of the biggest winners here that people don't realize is American. While Delta is bogged down merging two giant airlines together, American will be at a huge competitive advantage because they won't have to deal with a merger. It will give AA time to organically grow in profitable markets as they continue to build a major global gateway at DFW. This also holds true for WN; WN will be able to capture a HUGE amount of domestic traffic from these merging giants. Watch as AA and WN come on real strong in 2008.

The real facts about this merger are pretty simple....the only winners are the shareholders, lawyers and consultants. Everyone else will lose...1000s will lose their jobs, cities will lose service, and the consumer will lose choice in air travel. Those are the real facts.

For those that don't subscribe to the NY papers like me...

Here are two articles that discuss the DL/UA and NW/DL mergers.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... mepage-fea
    DL/UA

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /301160029
    DL/NW

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Don't forget the 18 (I think) Boing 787's Northwest has on order.

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Heres to wipeing NWA's signage off the face of the LGA terminal. (raises glass)
    But seriously either way Delta will have it's first 744's after a merger.
    Delta wants to kick NWA out of their terminal at LGA anyway. This is holding up the lease renewal because the Port is trying to force Delta to keep NWA.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I am aware of that as well. At this rate either I am going to have one less callsign to deal with on the west side of the field or one less on the extreme east side of the airport once Delta gets it over with. I am pulling for the callsign to be from the extreme east of the field though. Some Delta DC9's would be nice afterall.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Heres to wipeing NWA's signage off the face of the LGA terminal. (raises glass)
    But seriously either way Delta will have it's first 744's after a merger.
    Delta wants to kick NWA out of their terminal at LGA anyway. This is holding up the lease renewal because the Port is trying to force Delta to keep NWA.
    What a terrible terminal.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

In the event of a NW merger, the DC-9s would be the first victim.

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

They're trying to get rid of the DC-9s anyway, no?

Considering they're parking them month after month, yes. You'll never see a DC-9 in Delta colors ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari707
    I really hope that if DL did acquire Airbus family in a merger, that they'd dump them and stick to Boeing
    They dumped the Pan-Am A310's rather quickly after gettign those..
    I remember reading Delta was unhappy the 310s would sometimes require fuel stops on international flights.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Actually, we ordered some of our own after the merger. Delta actually liked the A310, but committed to the 767-300ER instead.

Would a DL and NW merger make "DLNW" Airlines the biggest US Legacy Carrier, surpassing AA?
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan
    Would a DL and NW merger make "DLNW" Airlines the biggest US Legacy Carrier, surpassing AA?
    It would be the biggest airline period, Legacy OR LCC surpassing WN and AA in everything almost, total aircrafts, number of flights, passengers flown...

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!