Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cloverfield

Re: Cloverfield

I just remembered that you, Chris W, are not even a NYer. It doesn't disqualify you from this topic and sharing your opinions, but you really couldn't possibly understand it the same way.

Mellyrose...no, you're right. I only wore the uniform of this country for five years in the military. I couldn't possibly understand. :roll:

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Wearing the uniform doesn't mean anything to this particular discussion, furthermore, it would be refreshing to not hear that excuse from you for a narrow minded opinion. I'd bet you also fell for the conspiracy jargon.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

How much money do you have?

I saw everything happen with my own eyes down by NYU with my classmates, which was about 1 mile from the WTC. We saw the first plane hit, the second plane hit, the first tower fall and then we evacuated uptown a little to my uncle's office on Union Square and watched the second tower fall. We saw the migration of people uptown, many filled with soot. We also dealt with the emotion of having one of my uncle's project managers desperately searching the hospitals with his wife for her brother who worked at the WTC. We also were scared as never before probably as we didnt know what was going to happen next. After hearing the tunnels were reopened 7 of us packed in my uncle's car for the ride home. I hosted 5 of my classmates at home until that Friday when we all went in as group to return to the city we love so much and have dinner and move on resolved that this trauma will not get to us. SO as someone that saw it with his own eyes and lived through it, even at a slight distance, Ive moved on from it a long time ago, looking forward and not back, as have most everyone else in this city. The only people that seemed to still want to live in that day are people with legitimate long term trauma issues and jingoists (who mostly were not even close to the city that day) who will wrap themselves up with the flag and scream 9/11 for their own ideological benefit and every time someone attempts to move on from that day in 2001.

PS: I cant wait to see Cloverfield, just the same as I couldnt wait to see other movies that had NYC in Sci-Fi roles, most recently like I Am Legend......

Let's remember everyone's entitled to their own opinion no matter what side you're on. No need to insult for holding a certain opinion or view!

I also witnessed 9/11 firsthand in NYC but watching Cloverfield wouldn't bother me. Plus how much draw would it get if the alien attached Philadelphia or Chicago? Not much. I'm probably not going to watch it because of the filming and camera constantly moving ala Blair Witch...It would give me a headache.

Escape from New York is good, although not a horror movie.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Chris, how is that relevant to the discussion? Nycfly75, I respect your input and agree with your sentiment but, I cannot believe that for alot of NY'ers the images shown and the concept depicted won't churn up vivid memories of the suffering on 9/11.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

As I said, I just feel that image is a little insensivity. I'm not hurt, offended or angry about it, I just found it unnecessary and in poor taste.

I think I just might go see it myself. Maybe I'll bring Mel if she's not too scared. :twisted:
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Mellyrose...no, you're right. I only wore the uniform of this country for five years in the military. I couldn't possibly understand. :roll:
    I didn't say you couldn't understand terrorism and the fear it instills. But you can't understand what it's like to live in NYC and experience 9/11 first hand and then see that poster on your subway and around your streets. It's just messed up.

I also wore the uniform of this country, and was in basic training when the planes hit....so I'm pretty familiar. The sarcasm is so uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I think I just might go see it myself. Maybe I'll bring Mel if she's not too scared. :twisted:
    I'm not scared too see it. I'm actually interested - it just looks like a cheesy movie with a tasteless plot.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

I just watched the preview. While it does stink of Blair Witch(another overhyped dissapointment), oine of the early scenes early in the preivew, with the Miss Liberty's head flying off, reminded me of "the Day After Tomorrow"

I can see how some might be sensitized and no, we'll never get over it. But it is something that we have to deal with, perhaps its part of the healing process.

Having said that, Phil, I recall seeing, at a kids carnival, a TITANIC (the boat!) kids blow up slide. Basically the kids run to the top and then slide down the stern of this blow up Titanic ship. In other words, picture the Titanic sinking, with its stern up in the air and the people helplessly sliding into the abyss. Picture that in 1912. Years later, its a carnival ride.

Whats my point? After some undefined time, I think the public will not be as sensitized and some might even joke about it. (Actually, last week I heard some guys were putting out a video game where you had to shoot down the planes before they hit the twin towers. Its already happening it a different degree. That's capitalism.) It might not be right but it will happen.

It happened with the horrific Challenger explosion (the joke, what were their last words; what does NASA stand for, etc) as with many other tragedies.

I think it comes down to....are we ready to see it? I don't know but perhaps it makes us all a bit stronger.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I've done a lot of research on this movie as I'm a huge monster movie fan. A few tidbits:

*It cost about $30M to make, but they say it's going to look like it cost $150M.
    *The producers are kind of worried that this movie won't do that well because of the lack of big-name movie stars and the fact that monster movies haven't done that great in the US.
    *J.J. Abrams came up with the idea while visiting a toy store in Japan and seeing all the Godzilla toys and he thought it would be cool to come up with an American monster movie.
    *You won't see the monster that much in this movie as it focuses more on the perspective of those filming the event.
    *As for the monster itself, I've read varying descriptions about it. Common theme is that it's huge and has these parasites that also cause havoc.

I'm disappointed that the film won't have any explanations on the creature's origin's, etc., but I can't wait to see it!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Thanks Bonanza. I ugess I'll be skipng that. I found Blair Witchs filming to be new, innovative and annoying. Add that to Clover, along with your desciption and I've made up my mind.

Perhaps a B-movie rental on a boring night.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Also Chris a lot of us in the NYC area actually knew people or lost friends or loved ones on 9/11. I only knew 2 personally who died that day but I know at least 10 people personally who lost a spouse/child/parent or sibling that day. I think it is 1000 pct cool that people from outside the NYC area are active on this sight but when it comes to 9-11 if you were not living in the NYC area on 9-11-01 then please respect that for those of us who where we take this VERY PERSONALLY and a general statement from me, PLEASE RESPECT THIS !

Thanks All

LGA777

Well, personally, I will probably never get over "911" and thats without losing anyone close to me (yes, I did know people that died though), but I have to agree with Mario's words above; the world will move forward even I don't personally.

"911" was on a mass scale, and as Phil indicated the poster promo seems to be a direct reference, so thats an issue of a sort on its own, but I think getting away from a macro scale, we all have to deal with being reminded of bad (or traumatic), experiences. You lose a loved one in a car crash or to a particular disease or whatever, and ever afterwards you will be reminded of those moments in everyday life, (particularly but not exclusively in the media) often in ways that are going to be insensitive.

Does anyone remember Hogan's Heroes? Those wacky zany Nazis... back in World War ll...ho ho ho....

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by bonanzabucks
    I've done a lot of research on this movie as I'm a huge monster movie fan. A few tidbits:

*The producers are kind of worried that this movie won't do that well because of the lack of big-name movie stars and the fact that monster movies haven't done that great in the US.
    *J.J. Abrams came up with the idea while visiting a toy store in Japan and seeing all the Godzilla toys and he thought it would be cool to come up with an American monster movie.
    JJ Abrams is probably right on the money here, and if the film does not work out it probably won't be that the US Audience can't watch giant monster mayhem. That putrid Godzilla film of a few years back (what the hell was Matthew Broderick in that for?) made 100 million dollars. People wanted to go see the Godzilla concept translated into Star Wars type special effects to help suspend their disbelief. Obviously we know now Peter Jackson could've delivered if he was interested. Instead we got an overgrown Jurassic Park escapee on the loose.
    "Keep 'em Flying"