Thread: DCA/IAD Spotting

DCA/IAD Spotting

Hi, am going to be in the DC/Northern VA area visiting my brother next weekend. As he lives in Arlington, I will definitely want to spot at DCA (Gravely Point?) and possibly at IAD. I did a search and found some information posted back in 2005 about calling DCA Operations at 703-417-8050 before spotting.

I just want to confirm that this is still the procedure for DCA spotting and to ask if there is a similar procedure for IAD.

Thanks in advance.

Re: DCA/IAD Spotting

I was down in DC about two years ago, and didn't call anyone when spotting. Spent an afternoon at Gravely Point, and a couple of hours at IAD after visiting the museum. Did you check out the Washington Baltimore Spotters Group website?

http://www.washbaltspotters.net/

Quote Originally Posted by coloneltigh
    I did a search and found some information posted back in 2005 about calling DCA Operations at 703-417-8050 before spotting.

I just want to confirm that this is still the procedure for DCA spotting and to ask if there is a similar procedure for IAD
    While Moose didn't have a problem, I have found it helpful by calling them first every time I go there. It can save you a lot of problems if you happen to get a cop not too familiar with the hobby, such as US Park Police etc.

I'm sure Rafal will tell you that even the locals call in every day when they are out at DCA and IAD.

When you are at Grevelly Point or Marina at DCA then you don't need to call. If you are spotting from inside of the terminal or from both balconies then you have to call.

At IAD you have to call from both parking garages but you don't have to call from the museum's parking lot.

More info at http://www.flyiad.net

Rafal
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31

Yeah, no need to call from Gravelly Point, which is under Park Service jurisdiction. Police visits there are rare, just the usual license run and 9/11 speech, and, of course, you're not doing anything wrong.

For IAD, call into ops if you'll be on the garages. They may come over and say hi, but they see you on the cameras, and that's usually good enough. Rafal calls, I pretend I left the number in my other book. Personal preference, really, but for a one-time visitor, I'd advise to call. You've posted the DCA operations number - I'll PM you the IAD number. Good luck, and have fun - supposed to be coooooolllldddd this weekend!

Thanks for all the information!