Thread: Airside pics from Europe's highest airport (bizjets...!)

Airside pics from Europe's highest airport (bizjets...!)

Hi again guys,

Right now weather as well as traffic over here is terrible for spotting, so I thought it'd be nice to share some pics from Samedan, Switzerland ( SMV / LSZS ), which is Europe's highest commercial airport, located at 5600ft!

Each winter rich and famous come here to either do some skiing or just spend money....it's basically our Aspen! :mrgreen:
    My last two visits were in November and December 07, hope you like!

Btw, to illustrate how cold this place is.... here's a NetJets Citation 550 with ice crystals all over. Close to - (minus!) 10 degrees F in the morning!!! :borat:

NetJets Falcon 2000

NetJets really owns that place in winter with dozends of flights a day usually. They sometimes even bring the BBJ in here... very impressive!

Czech ERJ Legacy (OK-SLN)

N239AX, Falcon 900, owned by Aspen Executive Services. They arrived non-stop from IAD and departed to Abu Dhabi only half an hr later after refuelling...talk about climate changes!

Limo shot...haah only an S-class Mercedes

Now that's classy!!! Mercedes Maybach limo and a Legacy (G-SYLJ)...

Gulf V (VP-CBX) brought in Prince Albert of Monaco, even though he usually owns a Falcon 2000 3A-MGA :?

Private CRJ-100 a.k.a. Challenger 850 (HB-IDJ).

Private Beech 1900D, don't know the reg anymore, sry.

Apron shot...right to left: Gulf IVsp (P4-TAK), ERJ Legacy (OK-SUN), ATR-42 (OY-CIU) and ATR-72 (LY-ATR) 8)

ATR-42 (OY-CIU) wingview....somehow artistic (i guess :roll: )

Another limo shot, this time on the snow apron. Cessna Citation 560XL (G-WINA)

And because we're just at bizjets....here's one recent pic from Innsbruck I'd like to share!

Private BAe 146, owned by F1 tycoon Bernie Ecclestone. Callsign was "Formula" and flt number was "one", so very appropriate too :borat:

Hope you liked them guys.....have a great day!
    Flo
    MD-11 heaven...place to be!

Re: Airside pics from Europe's highest airport (bizjets...!)

The light is amazing, the background is gorgeous, and the aircraft are amazing. Although to be honest, a soup can would look beautiful at such apicture-perfect airport.

Excellent photographs as well. Cool to see the Mercedes that matches the plane!

How do you handle such extreme cold with your camera equipment? I know mine would freeze up pretty fast in those conditions.

In that cold, I'd also need to wear a hood or mask that would make me look suspicious. How do you keep yourself from losing fingers and your nose?

Outstanding shots. Please keep sharing.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Great pics!

I always like how the sun reflecting off the snow lights the underside of the aircraft.

Re: Cold weather shooting - I go out sometimes in sub-zero weather in the hinterlands of upstate.

I haven't yet had a problem with the camera failing on me due to the cold. I also generally keep warm in the car, hop out when I want to take a shot, then back into the car.

How do you handle such extreme cold with your camera equipment? I know mine would freeze up pretty fast in those conditions.

In that cold, I'd also need to wear a hood or mask that would make me look suspicious. How do you keep yourself from losing fingers and your nose?
    Hi Phil. thanks very much for the kind comment! :)
    I know you're using a Canon DSLR....so I think you'd do just fine, maybe would need more battery than elsewhere. I never had any camera problem so far, been there a total of seven times over the last two years.

Re. dressing, it's just "as much as you can", especially in the morning. Boots with good isolation is quite essential, even though I've also been - ok - with sneakers.

I'm only shooting with gloves on, because your fingers will freeze off otherwise, however I've seen photographers shooting without. Not sure what (or what not) they felt of course

Regarding wearing a mask I don't think you'd run into any trouble, as you're on the ramp anyway and had your ID taken by the airport authority before they let you out.

It's really a lovely little airport with the fence being chest-high, so all quite relaxed there. The airport staff instructs you of the rules upon entering and will kick your ass if you get into the way of any planes, but other than that they're just friendly guys and keep an eye on you as long as you're out. Very unique in the world I guess......letting you wander around the ramp freely more or less! Hope nobody ruins it just yet. :roll:

Have a good day!

Not to steer the topic elsewhere, but in freezing temps, my shutter freezes and my camera takes black photos.

I'm both glad and jealous that you get to enjoy aviation so freely there. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Impressive photos. I don't come accross photos composed as well as these have been very often. Good job.

You first shot looks like a giant Genimi jet :)
    1:
    Senga

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Beautiful shots Flo. The backround is absolutely stunning.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Some real nice ges there Florian.

I had the pic of the jumbolino up on my screen all day. MIght be one of my favorite pics of all time. One of my favorite planes and a great shot!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Thanks very much for your kind comments guys!

Glad to hear you like them, really! :borat:

Florian, the pictures are absolutely jaw-dropping.
    I live the crystalized Citation, as well as both Legacy pics with the mountain backdrop.

Wow! Very amazing photos! Good job!
    nwa FOREVER!

My God, it's so beautiful !!!! :P :P :P :P
    Stéphane

My photos on PBase and Flickr

Thanks again very much for your replies guys! :borat: