Thread: 787 May Be Vulnerable to Hacker Attack

787 May Be Vulnerable to Hacker Attack

Wired:
    FAA: Boeing's New 787 May Be Vulnerable to Hacker Attack
    By Kim Zetter 01.04.08 | 7:30 PM

Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner passenger jet may have a serious security vulnerability in its onboard computer networks that could allow passengers to access the plane's control systems, according to the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration.

The computer network in the Dreamliner's passenger compartment, designed to give passengers in-flight internet access, is connected to the plane's control, navigation and communication systems, an FAA report reveals.

The revelation is causing concern in security circles because the physical connection of the networks makes the plane's control systems vulnerable to hackers. A more secure design would physically separate the two computer networks. Boeing said it's aware of the issue and has designed a solution it will test shortly. More...
    Read the FAA's Special Conditions bulletin here: http://cryptome.org/faa010208.htm
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: 787 May Be Vulnerable to Hacker Attack

Oh brother :!: :!: :!:

Pull out your laptop, start MS Flight Sim, load a hack string and fly your own 787!!!!! :borat:
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

A comment I saw on another site: "O hai, I upgraded ur flite path."
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I think this is quite intresting. Lets see what Boeing has to say and do with this.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    I think this is quite intresting. Lets see what Boeing has to say and do with this.
    Perhaps if you read the article......

Boeing said it's aware of the issue and has designed a solution it will test shortly.

I read that but there are no facts as to WHAT they are doing in it Tommy.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

The second link I posted to the FAA notice is an interesting read. Apparently this "Special Condition" was originally proposed in April, and they invited comments from outside parties. The ALPA submitted one comment and Airbus submitted several. All the comments are included in the notice.