Thread: Paradise Found...Sort of

Paradise Found...Sort of

I drove down to Birmingham, AL to meet my brother for Xmas and just dropped him off at ATL for a flight back to NYC. I saw a Marriott facing the runway and booked a room and I must say this is heaven. I'm on the 9th floor with a balcony overlooking the 8's. Great spotting. I wish I brought my camera. Please tell me I am giving a revelation here.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Re: Paradise Found...Sort of

It could be a revelation if it is an actual Marriott Hotel, but not if you are talking about the Renaissance Hotel, which is owned by Marriott!

When I was in Alabama for 3 years I found a nice spotting location that is the perimiter road that runs along runway 6/24 at BHM. I don't know if its still there but its worth checking into. You get a nice view of BHM.

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    When I was in Alabama for 3 years I found a nice spotting location that is perimiter road that runs along runway 6/24 at BHM. I don't know if its still there but its worth checking into. You get a nice view of BHM.

Senga
    I went to BHM. Mostly on the perimeter where a UPS A300 was parked. I forget the street but it's long and abandoned and the fence that divides the airport is a crappy chain link. Also of note is the good barbecue in the area. I will update later.

The Renaissance is Marriott owned. I was in room 916. It has a patio and like I say a killer view of the 8's, the FBO and a slight view of the North Cargo. I even left the patio door open and let the turbos put me to sleep. And the hotel food isn't bad either. My only complaint is that all the Deltas and Air Trans can get monotonous unless you're looking too fill your JP Fleets book.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.