Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aviation Holiday Gifts

Aviation Holiday Gifts

I thought we could use a thread for people to share any gifts that they may have received that are aviation-related during the holiday season.

Here's my little collection:

I got a mousepad with one of my photos on it, which replaced a very beat up one that I've had for years which also had a pic of mine on it.

My nephew (5 months old) got me an airplane for xmas! It's that red one right there. Along with it were some toy stocking stuffers I got as well (That silver isn't a B-52, right? Looks familiar, can anyone identify?)

I got a book called "New York Airports" which features photos from the early 90s from EWR, LGa and JFK. However, the most interesting part is the back cover. As many of you know, I used to employ an area that I call "The Dock". It is a spot that is somewhat dangerous to go to and is on private property. I would sit there taking photos and imagined what it would have been like to see an L-1011 landing from the same spot when they went into LGA 15 years ago. A shame I only discovered that location a few years ago, right? Wrong. Apparently the photographer of this book has been there as well....and got an L-1011 doing just what I imagined! I'm so excited to see what I thought I'd only have to imagine, and I'm also very jealous!

These are the mdoels I got for Christmas. A US Airways CRJ, Etihad A330, ATA L-1011 in old old colors with special titles, Pulkova Tu-154, Janet 737-200, Libyan Air Cargo AN-124, and a British Caledonian A310. I filled a LOT of gaps in my collection with these!

Of all, the most important and special part is that I got to give my nephew his very first airplane. I've been thinking since last Christmas what it would be, and it was a very tough decision. I wanted something special for many reasons.

I was leaning towards an American Airlines Gemini Jet. I thought it would be patriotic, a nice scheme and a good quality model. A 757 or 777 would be good-looking aircraft types as well. However, the ones I would have gotten were out of stock, and I also figured that once he gets a little older, he won't be able to play with it as it's fragile, or he could cut himself on the sharp details.

So after further thought, I came up with something that should have been very obvious. I realized I could get him something patriotic, a nice aircraft type, and a model size and material that he could safely play with. In addition, it has the added bonus of perhaps reminded him more of Uncle Phil. I went with a SkyMarks 1:150 North American Airlines 757-200 N750NA. i even got the box autographed by the woman whose name is painted on the nose of the plane.

Look how excited he is!

Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: Aviation Holdiay Gifts

Looks like you got some very nice aviation related gifts, Phil.

This Christmas has to be the first Christmas that I actually did not get anything aviation related. I got a new laptop that will in the end, I'm sure, contribute greatly to my aviation hobby.

However, very similar to you, I did get my nephews their first model airplanes this year. They are approaching their 2nd birthday and are head over heels in love with airplanes. Whenever they see me the second words out of their mouth, after "unca godon!", are "aipane!"

So I figured it would be appropriate to get them their first models this year. I bought them a Sky Marks 1/200 Qantas 747-300 in the special Nalanji (sp?) Dreaming scheme and a Sky Marks 1/200 Thai A340-500. I chose those two models because I thought they were awfully colorful and would attract their attention. I also made 4 large prints of shots of mine and put them in frames for their rooms.

Another great Christmas present that we got this year was the news that my nephews will have another sibling on the way!

Congrats Uncle Gordon!

The only thing aviation wise I got was the toy airplane from Phil's nephew, as that was actually for both of us ;)

:borat: Nice Phil......
    you need to subtract 5 from the 52 and that will give you a 6 engine B-47.

Like a 3/4 a B-52 with a fighter canopy! 8)

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Fred, as always, you beat me to it. :) Jimmy Stewart flew one of those in some movie..... Can't remember which..
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

That would be "Strategic Air Command", Mario.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    That would be "Strategic Air Command", Mario.
    Just got done waching the DVD AGAIN! Thanks Phil!!!! REALLY!

I can not beleve how good the film looked......I love technicolor!!!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

My mom gave me a subscription to Air & Space Magazine (published by the National Air & Space Museum) for Chanukah...

Well, apart from the Alitalia 772 model Gordon got me, the only other thing Aviation-wise I got was lots of money from everyone for flight lessons.

But my Zune will come in handy watching aviation-related videos :D
    nwa FOREVER!

I got a few aviation DVD's from the girlfriend aviation wise. Spotter wise the parents bought me a 75-300 AF :borat:
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Re: Aviation Holiday Gifts

Phil, any idea where the Tu-154 came from? I have not come across any of those previously.

Thanks.
    Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by dimamo1983
    Phil, any idea where the Tu-154 came from? I have not come across any of those previously.

Thanks.

Gemini Jets Makes them, I am sure there are many available try the website I get my planes from all the time

http://www.skysthelimitaviation.com

I however would love to know from you guys what I can get my 5 month old cousin thats aviation related, I showed him my Southwest display model the other day and he loved the engines hah, but anyone got any ideas ;) I kinda want another airplane fan in the family! haha
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Quote Originally Posted by N790SW
    I however would love to know from you guys what I can get my 5 month old cousin thats aviation related, I showed him my Southwest display model the other day and he loved the engines hah, but anyone got any ideas ;) I kinda want another airplane fan in the family! haha
    How about one of those stuffed, "plushy" 747's that are sold at just about any airport gift shop?

My parents got be a deck of "Aircraft Recognition Playing Cards." That was the only aviation-related thing I got, unless you count the new hard drive I got to store photos on.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Since I got screwed the first attempt. I decided to ask Santa for it before Christmas. Hopfully he thought I was more nice than naughty and would give this to me for a belated Christmas present. I think I have behaved myself. I will find out in a week.
    Its not really an Christmas present but it would be fun to think it as one :)
    Cubana YAK42

Its not too early to ask Santa for next Christmas :) Maybe some of you want N610DL, Wunala or whatever :) OR a girlfriend....ask him.
    http://xmas.glueserv.com

Senga