Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Ignore the Cops Anymore

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Can't Ignore the Cops Anymore

found this online today:

NYPD Testing New Sirens

MyFoxNY.com -- The NYPD is testing a siren that emits a deep bass boom that you can feel as well as hear. Police say it's designed to get the attention of drivers who might be distracted by loud music or air conditioning and even pedestrians who are wearing headphones.

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/H...Y&pageId=1.1.1
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Re: Can't Ignore the Cops Anymore

Nothing like a good set of push bars!!!! :borat:
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I think this would be a little too invasive. It sounds as thought it would create serious discomfort.

So when I call the cops on some teens blasting bass-heavy rap music outside my place...cops blasting the same bass will be responding. Great.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Yeah, well, I'm sure it could come in handy in certain situations.

I too, hope it is used responsibly though. Easy to abuse a tool like that.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

First saw this mentioned in a NY Times article over the summer about the various siren options available in NYPD vehicles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/15/nyreg ... irens.html
    And there is something new. Christened with a tantalizing name, the Rumbler, it sends out low, bone-rattling vibrations, so it is not only heard, but also felt. One has been tested on the streets of New York, but the jury is out on whether it is effective, offensive or terrifying.
    I remembered the article from the cool shot of the NYPD Charger :D

that is an awesome shot moose, do you know where it was taken?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

No, it was in the Times (both online and in print). I would doubt NYPD would let them mount a camera on the front of the car, so if I had to guess, I would say they shot it while stationary, then blurred the background. It is a great shot, however they got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner
    Yeah, well, I'm sure it could come in handy in certain situations.

I too, hope it is used responsibly though. Easy to abuse a tool like that.

Tom
    NYPD isn't normally heavy on the sirens, a little woop, woop is what you get.

I wanted to put dual airhorns and a missle launcher on my Bus (slang for Ambulance) when I was working. It is incredible how many people just don't get out of the way thus my need for push bars (and yes, I have done it!!!)
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

EMS, please share pushbar stories. Not that I doubt you, but i assume you didn't just push a car out of the way for not moving.

I was going to create a new thread for this actually. Police cars and Fire Trucks pass my building regularly, and like any 8 year old, I run to the window to watch them anytime I hear sirens (I can see it now, PoliceCarSpotting.net!)

I constantly see people NOT move out of the way for fire trucks. Don't people realize that they can pull over or go through a red light if there's a truck behind them? Even if they didn't, wouldn't it become blatantly obvious that a fire truck with lights on, sirens blaring, that's sitting RIGHT behind you BLASTING its horn on top of it MIGHT be telling you that you need to move?

Yet they just sit there like nothing's going on, waiting for it to turn green..
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

So what about Deaf Driver's who don't hear this? :lol:

In seriousness I wonder how they handle those?

I am Deaf but can pretty much hear the sirens and such, but not all deaf folks can.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    EMS, please share pushbar stories. Not that I doubt you, but i assume you didn't just push a car out of the way for not moving.
    In the 80's they came out with an Amberlamps (what they are called in the South Bronx) which had big rubber bumpers front and back (like the MTA buses had). I remember once down at Queens Plaza trying to get to an accident on the bridge when a cab just didn't feel like moving so I assisted him through the intersection and half way up the bridge then made him wait until we were done before he was able to leave. Ah, the good ol' days.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Alex T
    So what about Deaf Driver's who don't hear this? :lol:

In seriousness I wonder how they handle those?

I am Deaf but can pretty much hear the sirens and such, but not all deaf folks can.

Alex

Haven't you seen the hand gestures???
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    on my Bus
    glad i'm not the only one who still does this...

EMS, please share pushbar stories.
    i concur, would love to hear that one

I was going to create a new thread for this actually. Police cars and Fire Trucks pass my building regularly, and like any 8 year old, I run to the window to watch them anytime I hear sirens (I can see it now, PoliceCarSpotting.net!)
    if you do that phil, i'll probably be one of the higher-ranking contributors. when i was growing up in bklyn and had a camera those were really the only things i'd shoot. tis was with a old 35mm film wind-up camera, which makes me wonder what the photo techs though when they saw my pix.

Ah, the good ol' days.
    lol! no way you could get away with that now. probably get suspended for destroying dept property.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    Ah, the good ol' days.
    lol! no way you could get away with that now. probably get suspended for destroying dept property.
    Never destroyed Department property, the big rubber bumpers didn't even have any scratches. :mrgreen:
    Ronald Reagan