Thread: Wireless LAN

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Wireless LAN

is a wireless LAN a possability? i've been having to carry around my wireless hard drive between computers lately, and fankly it's gettnig annoying. i have a wireless internet at home, so i don't have any wires running through the house. also, i wouldn't networking a printer wirelessly. is that possible over a LAN?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Re: Wireless LAN

Please elaborate.

Technically, your home wireless IS Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN). What is it exactly you want to do?
    nwa FOREVER!

Like nwafan stated you are running a wireless LAN already. What do you mean by a wireless hard drive? Is it a external hard drive? If you share the drive then you can read it on the other computers. If you purchase a wireless print server then you can print also but you need to share/connect to use it.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Or you can just hook the printer up to one of the computers and share it from there. That's what I do.

Or do you mean a WAN (wide area network)?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

worry guys. when i lived in the dorms in AZ we had a wired LAN, and in addition to internet was able to access files on other computers. how do i do that with what i've got. keep in mind, i want to keep the fiels on my external HD private, so i want some sort of password protection.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Well, what they probably had set up were multiple servers, which, with the right equipment (read: $$$) is not hard to do, but I don't know of a way to have an external HDD on a network without having it just hooked up to another computer that is networked and accessing it that way. (Unless that is what you want to do)
    nwa FOREVER!

Yes, it's indeed possible. It's called NAS, or Network-Attached Storage. A good example would be the Western Digital My Book, World Edition, where all you have to do is connect it directly into an Ethernet port, and you can access it from any computer in the world with an internet connection. I'm sure there are wireless models out there also.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=347

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Or do you mean a WAN (wide area network)?
    WAN is usually used in the corporate realm where there is multiple locations on the same network.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung
    Yes, it's indeed possible. It's called NAS, or Network-Attached Storage. A good example would be the Western Digital My Book, World Edition, where all you have to do is connect it directly into an Ethernet port, and you can access it from any computer in the world with an internet connection. I'm sure there are wireless models out there also.

But I don't think he wants to buy extra equipment.
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by nwafan20
    Quote Originally Posted by heeshung

But I don't think he wants to buy extra equipment.
    now that's interesting, that's the same external HD i have! definately going to look into that, because that's that i've been hoping to be able to access from other computers.