Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking the DSLR plunge - done!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Re: Taking the DSLR plunge - almost ready to buy!

I should have made this decision a month ago so I could have bought Eric's used 20D
    Yep, exactly what I was going to say. Tommy is right. The way the DSLR world moves you would just frustrate yourself if you buy an XT. As you improve your skill you will outgrow the camera fast. Where as waiting just a little and getting the 20D will give you a body you can get a lot out of for a much more period of time. I have found that in this business it's best to spend a little more money and get more camera. In the end you end up saving money because you will be able to hold on to a body for a longer period of time as opposed to selling one and buying another. A year from now the 30D etc etc.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Yep, exactly what I was going to say. Tommy is right. The way the DSLR world moves you would just frustrate yourself if you buy an XT. As you improve your skill you will outgrow the camera fast. Where as waiting just a little and getting the 20D will give you a body you can get a lot out of for a much more period of time. I have found that in this business it's best to spend a little more money and get more camera. In the end you end up saving money because you will be able to hold on to a body for a longer period of time as opposed to selling one and buying another. A year from now the 30D etc etc.
    Yes, I've been talked out of the XT :) The decision is between a new XTi and a used 20D now, and it seems like the XTi is a better bet, with the integrated anti-dust system, bigger LCD, and new(er) image processor. The 20D would be a no-brainer compared to the XT, but I haven't heard any compelling reasons to choose the 20D over the XTi yet...

Eric's 20D was offered at a much better price than I've seen any other 20Ds...

Nick, I thought you were a Nikon guy? :borat:

Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    Nick, I thought you were a Nikon guy? :borat:
    He is, but we're working on luring him back from the Dark Side. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Never-Used-Cano ... dZViewItem

Check this out Adam.

I am a Nikon guy but both companies behave the same with models. One gets popular then another is launched and price drops.

Looking long term your play is a 20D. They are to be had cheap so find one with a US warranty and get it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

I'm not sure long-haul this is...it's my first SLR camera, ever. If I outgrow this camera like I outgrew my Canon S3, I'll be looking to upgrade significantly (as in 30D or 40D) in a year. If not, I suspect I'd be satisfied with either model.

The XTi is also to be had cheap, as these things go. What specifically makes the 20D better? I'll spend the extra money if it will make a big difference, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence that it will. I've read a lot about how the image quality isn't significantly different, and I like the big LCD and anti-dust system on the XTi.

I don't think there's a significant image quality difference between the 20D and the XTi; if you're planning on making large (poster-size or bigger) prints, the megapixel difference might start to matter, or if you plan to do a LOT of cropping to images (but it's generally better to get a longer lens than to do extreme cropping) the extra MP of the XTi could come in handy. The biggest difference between the 20D (or the 30D, which I have, but is substantially similar) and the XTi is the feel of the camera. The 20D feels a lot tougher, more rugged, and in my option, better. The XTi is a lot smaller, has a plastic body, and to me has a toy-like feel. You might want to try holding both, though, and seeing which is a better fit/feel.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

You can argue either till the cows come home but consider some things.

The 20D is built much better. Feel, material etc.

As far as dust removal. I don't base my decisions on it. Buy a rocket blower and deal with the llittle extra time cloning them out in PS.

Performance favors 20D, fps, sensitivity etc.

I don't understand how some like the bigger LCD screen. Once the shot is taken it's over. In fact I don't even really spend much time viewing them and just wait because viewing them in ACR is what it boils down to anyway. Once I have seen the histogram I don't need to dwell looking at the pic in the LCD.

I doubt 2MP is enough to make a difference.

If you want a good performing camera that you can own for good period of time while your shooting skills improve it just makes sense to spend the extra money and get a 20D, whether new, refurbed or on ebay. Just avoid grey market.

B&H has a used 20D (8+ condition) for $599...that's only $50 more than a new XTi...

Maybe I'll head over there before work tomorrow and play around with both models...

Nick and Phil win again. I went to the B&H used department this morning and asked to take a look at a 20D. It...doesn't feel like a toy! The LCD is only a little smaller than my current camera (in other words, not a big problem), and I like the status window on top of the camera. I'm not sure the 20D could take more than 9 or 10 pics in the time it took me to make my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    I don't understand how some like the bigger LCD screen. Once the shot is taken it's over. In fact I don't even really spend much time viewing them and just wait because viewing them in ACR is what it boils down to anyway. Once I have seen the histogram I don't need to dwell looking at the pic in the LCD.
    Us point-and-shoot users are addicted to our big LCDs :) Big sharp LCDs (like on the Sony superzooms) are a huge help for fixing exposure issues on advanced point-and-shoots, because the light meter tends to overexpose airplane pictures and after you see how washed out the first shots are, you can adjust the exposure compensation. But, I won't have those problems to start with on a 20D, will I? :D

I really appreciate everyone's help on this...

It's a semi-done deal. I got $400 for the FZ50 with three batteries and a 2GB SD card (which is great, since I paid $375 for just the camera and a battery). I bought:

1) A Canon EOS 20D (9-quality)
    2) A Canon EF-S 17-55mm IS lens
    3) A Canon EF 70-300mm lens (the cheap one)

Total price: $868

I went with cheap lenses for flexibility. After advice from several people, I decided that since I'm relatively new at this, I should go for maximum flexibility to start out. And since in a few months I'll be able to spend money on lenses, doing so even at the expense of quality is feasible. Once I've got an idea of what I want to do and what I need maximum quality for, I'll know what L lens is the best use of my money (28-105, fisheye, 100-400, etc).

In other words, long-term body (since I know that can grow with me), short-term lenses.

And, there's a 14-day return policy, so I know what I'm going to be doing for the next two weeks :)