Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Republican Candidates Self-Destruct on CNN

Re: Republican Candidates Self-Destruct on CNN

I've seen straight people get in trouble for hugging on base though.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Did they get fired for it? Can straight people marry? DO THEY GET PAID MORE?

Moot point, Phil.

This thread seems to have gone on a lot longer than the typical debate on NYCA...interesting.

Please, everyone, stop attacking Phil and others for their beliefs. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it's an extremely bothersome viewpoint as perceived by another individual, right?

Afterall, if it was as if Phil didn't support gays and/or was homophobic (hahah), why would he allow this lovely pro-gay lifestyle banner ad to be visible to the 500+ active members of his website!:

- jMay
    "BANK M*THER$@*#^$, BANK!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by SoPictureThis
    This thread seems to have gone on a lot longer than the typical debate on NYCA...interesting.

Please, everyone, stop attacking Phil and others for their beliefs. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it's an extremely bothersome viewpoint as perceived by another individual, right?

Afterall, if it was as if Phil didn't support gays and/or was homophobic (hahah), why would he allow this lovely pro-gay lifestyle banner ad to be visible to the 500+ active members of his website!:

- jMay
    :lol:

While I am generally in favor of gay rights, there is simply little or no chance of this policy changing in the next decade, perhaps not in our lifetime, no matter who is elected. With so many issues threatening the very existence of this country, it's very sad that CNN wasted our time with an irrelevant question, without even taking into account that he shouldn't have been there to begin with.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    While I am generally in favor of gay rights, there is simply little or no chance of this policy changing in the next decade, perhaps not in our lifetime, no matter who is elected. With so many issues threatening the very existence of this country, it's very sad that CNN wasted our time with an irrelevant question, without even taking into account that he shouldn't have been there to begin with.
    Irrelevant question? I doubt the thousands of GLBT service members who have served and are continuing to protect your freedom would agree.

Last time I checked - life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness didn't come with a disclaimer.

And, once again, an opposing viewpoint is classified as a personal attack here. :roll:

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

And, once again, an opposing viewpoint is classified as a personal attack here.
    Interesting observation

it's very sad that CNN wasted our time with an irrelevant question, without even taking into account that he shouldn't have been there to begin with.
    Matt CNN made asses of themselves with their behavior but Gay rights is hardly irrelevant. In fact if it wasn't for illegal immigration and Iraq I think gay rights would be a hot button issue and it still could become one. Let's not forget not only serving in the military but marriage is also in play.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    And, once again, an opposing viewpoint is classified as a personal attack here.
    Interesting observation

Off Topic: As my name was mentioned as being "attacked", I don't feel I was. My post was misunderstood at one point, but the fact is that my points were mostly in agreement with others here. This debate is going pretty well so far. Let's continue with the thread's intention.

Back on topic, I agree with Matt. It's just not going to change just yet. For the gay community to make progress, general awareness in society should be improved before pressing this part of the gay issue further. It's been going well so far. Time will tell.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Time will tell.
    Meanwhile, we're still asking these men and women to make the ultimate sacrifice. :roll:

Do you think that if we had a survey in Montgomery, AL back in 1950 that people would have voted to allow Rosa Parks to sit in the front of the bus?! Of course they wouldn't have allowed it. It took her standing up for what was right to change the world. Indeed, she did change the world that day...

And another thing...

Myself - and countless others no doubt - don't care if Johnny Appleseed from Kansas didn't mature enough growing up to accept that fact that diversity is one of mankind's greatest strengths when it is embraced.

We're dealing with people's rights here (or lack thereof) AND asking them to die for a country that isn't living up to their end of the bargain - i.e., ensuring life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is guaranteed WITHOUT a disclaimer.

In case you didn't notice, this particular issue ignites a fire under me. Having lived in it for five years, I have a unique - and personal - perspective on it.

I'm not saying that it's irrelevant to the gay community. But this issue will be (and should be, IMO) at the bottom of the list of things to do for whoever is elected. There are dozens of gargantuan military issues that need to be addressed that will determine the course of our nation...i.e. getting out of Iraq, what to do about Iran, the military's role in protecting the border, who's gonna pay for all the wounded soldiers, etc. I don't mean to minimize the importance of it, but the number of people affected by such a rule change would be a tiny portion of our population, while those other issues affect everyone.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    I'm not saying that it's irrelevant to the gay community. But this issue will be (and should be, IMO) at the bottom of the list of things to do for whoever is elected. There are dozens of gargantuan military issues that need to be addressed that will determine the course of our nation...i.e. getting out of Iraq, what to do about Iran, the military's role in protecting the border, who's gonna pay for all the wounded soldiers, etc. I don't mean to minimize the importance of it, but the number of people affected by such a rule change would be a tiny portion of our population, while those other issues affect everyone.
    Well, you're more or less on spot here. It doesn't negate the reality these guys and gals are going through though.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

There are dozens of gargantuan military issues that need to be addressed that will determine the course of our nation...i.e. getting out of Iraq, what to do about Iran, the military's role in protecting the border, who's gonna pay for all the wounded soldiers,
    Matt you notice that the majority of these so called (top of the list issues) have nothing to do with things in small town america with maybe the exception of immigration? If you think that the voters are not intererested in gay rights, abortion, taxes, health care, fuel costs, social security etc you are badly mistaken. Believe it or not most of the middle to lower middle class wants someone to step up and say I will get you cheaper health care, protect your social security so it's there for you children, lower fuel so it doesn't cost 4 bucks a gallon to heat your house and get less taken out of your paycheck and more back in your tax refund. These are core issues that many are thinking about. No matter how Iraq goes it will end and we will get most of the troops out of there. Iran as well as North Korea will continue to have to be watched but for your newly married couple with one kid and one on the way they want to know there wiill be something there for them whey they retire and when their kids grow up.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I was only talking about military issues, the expenses and consequences of which affect all of us.

A new 60 Minutes report claims the military has been much more tolerant of gays since the beginning of the Afghan and Iraq wars. 1200 soldiers were discharged under "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" in 2001, compared to only 600 this year.
    Manzella, a medic who served in Iraq for a year, currently serves as medical liaison for the 1st Cavalry Division stationed in Kuwait, where he says he is "out" to his entire chain of command, including a three-star general. After leaving Iraq, he started receiving anonymous emails warning him about his openness that suggested he was being watched, so he went to his commander to head off an investigation he felt was coming. "I didn’t know how else to do it," he tells Stahl, acknowledging that he initiated an investigation of himself by violating the policy. "I felt more comfortable being the one to say, 'This is what is real,'" Manzella says.

He then says his commander reported him, as he was obliged to do, and then "I had to go see my battalion commander, who read me my rights," he says. He turned over pictures of him and his boyfriend, including video of a passionate kiss, to aid the investigation. But to his surprise, "I was told to go back to work. There was no evidence of homosexuality," says Manzella. "'You’re not gay,'" he says his superiors told him. This response confused him and, he says, the closest a superior officer came to addressing his sexuality was to say "I don't care if you're gay or not."
    Full Story: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/ ... 5278.shtml