Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TSA: Birthdate, Gender Required to Buy Plane Ticket

Re: TSA: Birthdate, Gender Required to Buy Plane Ticket

[quote=Phil D.]
    Quote Originally Posted by "T-Bird76":57a36
    Why not simply require ID when traveling, run the ID like we do with passports at the time of check in and see if it gets flagged?
    That is, effectively, what they are doing (or going to do). They just require more information to do it effectively, as IDs are so different (50 states, and international) that the technology doesn't allow such convenience. It's not much different than how it usually is done.[/quote:57a36]

Phil you just made the case for a Federal ID card system. State issued DL's need to go away, one id card linked to a Federal database which shows the state you live and whether or not your licensed to drive is IMO the correct answer. However some State's rights group will complain.

A Passport can act as that card, though. Just force people to have passports to travel domestically then.

The information can be gathered any which way, as long as it's accurate at the time that it's transmitted to the DHS.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    A Passport can act as that card, though. Just force people to have passports to travel domestically then.

The information can be gathered any which way, as long as it's accurate at the time that it's transmitted to the DHS.
    What I'm saying is making a Federally issued id card to replace current state issued ones will not only help solve this problem but create a uniformed id system for the entire country. Passports are to bulky to carry for domestic travel. This system can resolve issues of fake DL's, states not being able to pull information from another state's DL. I think there are so many benefits to a Federal ID program vs. what we have now.

Understood, but a driver's license will still be necessary for each state, as that's their own jurisdiction.

Also keep in mind that there are program and technical issues with this stuff.

there's no PROBLEM with the current plan to NEED a federal ID though. It would help for things, but there's no NEED for it when it comes to the plan being put into affect.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    EMS my point is with the amount of ID theft we see today another ave that may allow it needs to be very tightly controlled. I'm not against this but this can raise a number of questions in terms of privacy and liability. Lets say I'm traveling on biz, my company books my trip, provides the airline my personal info which btw right now my Corp travel Dept doesn't have right now and somehow my ID is stolen and its traced back to this trip. Who's responsible, perhaps the airline if they lost it but a case could also be made that my company should help repair the damage since they sent me on the trip. This isn't as clear as it looks. Why not simply require ID when traveling, run the ID like we do with passports at the time of check in and see if it gets flagged?
    Because the check of the no-fly and selectee list for the most part is done by the reservation system not at the airport. If they needed to run the check at the airport the ticket counter line may be longer than it is now and there wouldn't be able to do on-line check in to avoid the ticket counter.

I understand identity theft, it happen to me over 10 years ago before it was well known and much easier to get out of. While there may be a risk I believe the risks aren't as great as you think.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan