Thread: Editing help

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Editing help

So my pictures from FLL came out noisy, overexposed, and halo-y. For the most part, I know what I did wrong with the camera, but I thought this might be a good exercise in sharpening techniques.

How'd I do? Do these look over-processed? It's hard for me to tell, because I know what they looked like before. :) And it's rather tedious editing, so I figured I'd get feedback before I do any more.

Re: Editing help

They both have serious quality issues unfortunately. Care to post any of the original files?

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Yeah, I know there are serious quality issues, and I've accepted the fact that none of them are going to JP. But I'd still like to do the best I can with them. I was experimenting with Aperture Priority mode on my camera and I need to use a lower exposure compensation (to get the exposure right) and a bigger aperture (to cut down on the noise).

I dropped the original JPEGs in http://adamtrilling.com/pics/20071123_fll/ (not posting them directly because they're 3 MB each). I'm going to do more tonight, but most of them have similar issues; either the cloudy background makes them hard to sharpem (like Ted) or they are overexposed and have halos (like the C172).

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

overexposed,
    Yep, what camera you using now Adam? Either way also looks like the sun was just in a bad spot.. In the case of the Cessna that fuselage is so white unless you have the sun in the right spot its blown out city. Remember camera settings are one thing. Getting the subject lit right is also important.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    overexposed,
    Yep, what camera you using now Adam? Either way also looks like the sun was just in a bad spot.. In the case of the Cessna that fuselage is so white unless you have the sun in the right spot its blown out city. Remember camera settings are one thing. Getting the subject lit right is also important.
    I'm using a Panasonic FZ50. It's still a small sensor, so I still have noise issues, but not nearly as bad as what I had before.

I'm still trying to figure out this whole sun thing. The nice thing about FLL (with its 9/27 runways) is that the sun is always directly behind you, but I'd have probably done better early in the morning when it wasn't as high in the sky, right?

Should I get an ND filter? That would give me a lot more flexibility in the bright sunlight we tend to like, no?

but I'd have probably done better early in the morning when it wasn't as high in the sky, right?
    Now your getting it ol' boy.

Look at this shot, taken with the sun very low.

[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/1167830/L/[/airlinersNow look at this shot where I was fighting the sun, it's very high and it took a lot to get this shot to work.

[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/1288409/L/[/airlinersI know it's not always easy to get the sun where you want it, but while you are starting out it's good to get the best possible conditions to learn with and go from there. Exposure comp is a good thing but it can't help as much as you think.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    I know it's not always easy to get the sun where you want it, but while you are starting out it's good to get the best possible conditions to learn with and go from there. Exposure comp is a good thing but it can't help as much as you think.
    It's be a lot easier to get the sun where I wanted it if I knew where I wanted it :P

What I'm confused about is, why didn't I have this problem when I was at Firestone from 11:15 AM on the first time I used this camera? Does it have something to do with the fact that the sun in New York in late October isn't nearly as bright as the sun in South Florida?

There will be a difference with the seasons sure. I have been able to shoot at certain locations at 11ish late fall that are dead in the summer. You will know pretty quickly how strong the sun is by the results you are getting. Remember that your camera gives you the feedack instantly so you should be checking after each shot how your exposure is. I would definately try to avoid high sun till you get more skilled with the sun being lower. When it's low expsosure is easier and you can work from there.