Thread: Trip Report: Upstate NY

Trip Report: Upstate NY

I know I am posting my itinerary a lot, but this is to prepare for my trip report in a few weeks.

I am going to visit family in Patterson, NY for the holidays. I'm flying into SWF for the first time.

12/24/2007
    Delta 1864
    Departs Daytona Beach at 7:30 AM and arrives in Atlanta at 8:56 AM
    Seat: 14E
    McDonnell Douglas MD-88

Delta 4542
    Departs Atlanta at 11:00 AM and arrives in Newburgh-Stewart Int'l at 1:18 PM
    Seat: 6A
    Bombardier Canadair Regional Jet

12/31/2007
    Delta 4543
    Departs Newburgh-Stewart Int'l at 1:44 PM and arrives in Atlanta at 4:19 PM
    Seat: 9A
    Bombardier Canadair Regional Jet

Delta 849
    Departs Atlanta at 7:09 PM and arrives in Daytona Beach at 8:29 PM
    Seat: 14E
    McDonnell Douglas MD-88

Trip report to come in a few weeks. I will have internet access while I am away.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Re: Upstate NY 12/24-12/31

Maybe you should save this as a draft and work on it after your trip is over rather then posting it before.

Just a suggestion, it helps keeps this section less crowded.

Why didn't you consider HPN? It is much closer to Patterson, and easier too. SWF is nothing to brag about. Don't get too excited.
    "We know why you fly"

They are about the same driving time, and I did consider HPN. HPN is much more vulnerable to delays than SWF, which was the deciding factor. The family I am visiting also told me to fly to SWF rather than HPN. HPN was $300+, SWF was $295.10.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Well, that is good reasoning. Enjoy!
    "We know why you fly"

Thank you. I will.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

No schedule changes, and making preparations to depart on Monday morning.

Taking my brother and sister-in-law to DAB on Saturday:

DL5563
    Departs: Daytona Beach at 3:05 PM
    Arrives: New York-LaGuardia at 5:34 PM

Yeah, quick holiday run by DL before the big start on February 14.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Woke up at 4:30 this morning just because I couldn't sleep. Did a final check of my things and last minute packing. My mother, sister, and I headed for the airport at 5:55 AM, getting there at around 6:30 AM.

Daytona Beach International Airport:
    I said good-bye to my sister and mother and walked into the terminal and checked in using the kiosk (always fun to use them). My flight was departing from gate 1 at DAB.
    In the concourse, my flight was the first gate on the right, while there was a CR7 parked at gate 4. My flight was the only mainline flight departing that day )(Adjusted Schedule for X-Mas eve).

Delta flight 1864
    Daytona Beach 7:30 AM to Atlanta 8:56 AM
    Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas MD-88
    Departure gate: 1 (Daytona Beach Int'l)
    Arrival Gate: B1 (Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Int'l)
    Boarded with zone 8 and took my seat by the window (14E). The plane was nearly empty so everyone was switching seats. Pushed back on time and taxied to runway 7L. I guess it had something to do with the light take off weight, because we were up in the air very quickly, not to mention our quick climb.
    This flight was very smooth. Flight attendants were very nice on board.
    We touched down on runway 28 in Atlanta and parked at the gate. I made my way quickly off the plane and found that my connection would be departing from gate C36.

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
    I had some time to kill, so I walked very slowly to the escalator. Of course, I had to look at where all the other planes were headed to. To name a few that I saw: VPS, RSW, BWI, MSP, Steamboat Springs (HDN?).
    Once I got to Concourse C, I walked slowly to my gate, which was all the way at the end of the concourse, but I didn't care, I was too interested in seeing where all the planes were going. Of course, in this concourse, there are multiple Delta Connection flights parked at the gate at the same time, so there were multiple flights listed at the gates. Once I got to the gate, I sat down and waited to board my oversold flight to Newburgh.

Delta 4542
    Atlanta 11:00 AM to Newburgh at 1:18 PM
    Aircraft: Canadair Regional Jet 200
    Departure Gate: C36 (Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Int'l)
    Arrival Gate: 1 (Newburgh-Stewart Int'l)
    I walked through that awning maze that was in place and made my way onto my plane, which was a CRJ. That was one small plane! I'm a big guy, so my head was almost hitting the ceiling. I found it funny though. I took my seat in 6A and struggled to look out the window, since it was very low.
    We had a very small line at runway 27R for take off (we were number three) so we were off the ground quickly. I really have to hand it to this flight attendant. She was the only one on board our flight and she was very nice. When we had the beverage service, we got the entire can, not to mention seconds on snacks. I think some people even had thirds, etc.
    The approach into Newburgh was very rough. The pilot had a lot of unstable air to work with. Our approach included flying to the Hudson River and turning final to runway 27 by the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. We touched down early and parked at gate 1 at SWF, and they brought a jetway to the airplane.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012