Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Party?

Re: Holiday Party?

Just a reminder that we do have people coming from New Jersey as well and Long Island would be very inconvenient for them. I WOULD suggest Manhattan if it weren't such a mess with traffic and parking, so that's why I'm saying Queens would be our best bet. If someone thinks there's a more central location (which is accessible by subway) for people from NJ, Bronx, Manhattan, LI and Brooklyn to meet than Queens, I'm honestly all ears. I don't want anyone to think I'm just saying it because I live there.

Would oceanside be good? I know a Portugese resteraunt there that is FANTASTIC. If you can take the train to Long Beach I could make travel arrangements and my girlfriend would surely help. Now if I coul get her to join the site!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

All I'm saying is that even if we DO have a ride, we're trying to consider people who want to come from places like New Jersey, and Oceanside would tack a good amount of time onto a ride for them. :)

Oh, I see. Sorry skim reading again.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I was already thinking of heading up to New York on the weekend of the 15th to visit some friends in Jersey and get some spotting in, so this would work quite nicely. Obviously I don't have any suggestions for eating locations....any place with a good, warm food works for me. :D Keep us updated about final decisions on time/place. Would be great to see everybody again.

Greets,
    -Omar S.

I and the better half are both allergic to seafood (How convient) so that is a prefrence for me if we can set a date and I can make it. Tuesday and Wed. Always work best for me and Saturday night after 8 P.M. is always a plus as well.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    I WOULD suggest Manhattan if it weren't such a mess with traffic and parking, so that's why I'm saying Queens would be our best bet.
    I have an easier time with parking in the city than in Queens. Plus NJT, LIRR and Subway into Manhattan means no one MUST drive. YMMV

I was going to show the Zagat rated restaurants for Woodside, Bayside and ...Astoria.
    But too long a list.

Bayhouse near JFK comes to mind.

There is this nice venue near Union Square that comes to mind, German place really nice for the holidays.... have to look that up.

Maybe we can rent a big Red Bus and have a party on the roof top while driving around NYC.

Those are my thoughts.
    gotta jet,
    M
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    I WOULD suggest Manhattan if it weren't such a mess with traffic and parking, so that's why I'm saying Queens would be our best bet.
    I have an easier time with parking in the city than in Queens. Plus NJT, LIRR and Subway into Manhattan means no one MUST drive. YMMV

I was going to show the Zagat rated restaurants for Woodside, Bayside and ...Astoria.
    But too long a list.

Bayhouse near JFK comes to mind.

There is this nice venue near Union Square that comes to mind, German place really nice for the holidays.... have to look that up.

Maybe we can rent a big Red Bus and have a party on the roof top while driving around NYC.

Those are my thoughts.
    gotta jet,
    M

Or Phil can come through on his promise of a Tristar rental for the night. ;)

I'm sure we can find a good place, but my opinion is that Manhattan is the worst decision. We had an event there and it was very difficult for many people to get there. Most Manhattan restaurants require booking a "party" for reservations over 10 or 12, which is a whole other issue. :?

Bayhouse is a good one, but still tough for people who use public transportation.

I still think Bayside, Astoria and maybe even parts of Flushing would be good.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_grazer
    donovan's at bayside :borat:
    They changed hands, while it is still named Donovans there are different owners. They were going through a million dollar renovation. I don't know if they are back open.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Woodside:
    Donovan's
    Roosevelt & 58 St (7 train to 61st Street)

Sunnyside:
    Sidetracks
    Queens Blvd & 45 St (7 train to 46 St)

Astoria
    PortoBella
    43 St & Ditmars (Q101 down steinway)

Jackson Hole
    Astoria & 71 St (??)
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Ok this is getting a bit overcomplicated...Zagat rated....allergic to this and that, public transportation... If people want to come they'll come, I don't think any of us with cars have ever said no to someone who needed a ride to an event or get together. Why not simply pick a TGI Friday's kind of place. Its inexpensive, no reservations, ppl can come and go as they please, minor friendly, there's something on the menu for everyone, and there's about a million of them located around the metro area. Why not pick one near JFK or LGA and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Ok this is getting a bit overcomplicated...Zagat rated....allergic to this and that, public transportation... If people want to come they'll come, I don't think any of us with cars have ever said no to someone who needed a ride to an event or get together. Why not simply pick a TGI Friday's kind of place. Its inexpensive, no reservations, ppl can come and go as they please, minor friendly, there's something on the menu for everyone, and there's about a million of them located around the metro area. Why not pick one near JFK or LGA and be done with it.
    Agreed, but what dates are you guys looking at?

I say either Dec 14th, 15th or Dec 28th or 29th (still the holiday season.)

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Well I only threw out Zagat when Figs was turned down as an option. My line of thought is that anywhere in/near an airport is fine, since most/all of us go to airports to spot anyway. Makes sense. Therefore I seriously doubt anyone will have a problem with a rendezvous at/near/in LGA or JFK.

Having said that, my only wish is we avoid TGIFriday/AppleBee's. They are usually loud venues and I think a cozy atmosphere where we can chat would be nice. Bayhouse does sound fine especially, as Tom said, carpooling won't be an issue.

Too bad mimi doesnt have a Queens outpost. They are a perfect venue regarding ambiance.
    (Maybe she has as sister? ;) )
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187