Thread: Help with spotting in NY

Help with spotting in NY

Hello all.

I would like to firstly say what a fantastic website you guys have. I am based in Hong Kong where we have a forum which one day aspires to be a good website like this one!!

With the arrival of the 777-300ER into New York, I will start to visit the city. I have never been to the East Coast and am definately interested in doing some spotting but also obviously all the touristy things as well. Unfortunately I will only be there 1 day per visit but hope to visit several times a year so am not too worried if I don't get to do or see everything immediately!

I was wondering whether the locals go out to take photos in winter, or whether it is a summer-only hobby. Obviously I am from warmer climates and checking the current temperature there already has me in shivers as I sit in my shorts and T-shirt! Also I was wondering which airports you normally go to and would consider the best? I have had a look at the spotting locations page and am glad there is quite a good choice although most seem to require a fairly long lens. Coming from HKG it is the domestic North America stuff which interests me the most (Probably all very boring for you I know) as I see Asian and European heavies every few minutes from my window. In that respect should I be going to LGA? Should I even be going in winter at all?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I feel like I am stepping into the great unknown going to the East Coast, and I have not flown longhaul for years either. There seems to be so much to do and see in NY I am torn between seeing the city and seeing planes!! Hopefully I will get to meet some of you eventually!!

Colin Parker.

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Re: Help with spotting in NY

If you're looking for US domestic traffic, LGA is the place to go, and if you don't have a long lens, Planeview Park (Location A on the map) is the way to go. You don't even really need a zoom lens here; I've gotten full-frame pics with a pocket-size point-and-shoot. This spot is for landings on Runway 4, and the light is best in the morning (although you can cross over to the other side of the highway in the afternoon if you're feeling bold). You can find out which runway is in use by calling the ATIS at 718-478-6118 and listening to the recording.

Have fun! If you let us know when you're going, you might get some company.

Hi Colin...

I'm from germany and was last february in NYC. These guys here helped me so much!!

I also hunted the US domestic traffic and LGA was the place to be! JFK is also interesting due to AA and DL domestic traffic and of course JB who have sometimes a line of 5 or 6 planes to land on the same runway and with the different tails they are more intersting for me. .

Enjoy your visit in this wonderfull city!

Thanks for the info guys! Will definately let you guys know when I plan a spotting trip. I think I will use my first couple of trips to the city to just get comfortable with everything and where everything is before I venture out further.

Thanks again!

Welcome Colin, nonstop from HKG is a haul but hopefully once here you'll have some time to both be a tourist and do some spotting. I concur with the others that LGA is the place to be around here if you want to see domestic action. Since my buddy lives there (Wanchai) I thought I'd have a look at the HK website you posted but nothing there at the moment, did you mean hkspotting.com? Anyway I always enjoy the HK pics both old and new airports (and of course Macao)...