Thread: Eye-Fi: How One Little Chip Will Change the Way You Share Pi

Eye-Fi: How One Little Chip Will Change the Way You Share Pi

Eye-Fi, a new company that makes Wi-Fi camera-memory cards, was formed because of a broken promise.

Three years ago, Yuval Koren, Eye-Fi's CEO, traveled to New York from San Francisco for a wedding. You know, the kind you see in every single romantic comedy ever made? Long-lost friends were reunited, copious snapshots were taken, and everyone pledged to send them along soon after. "There were lots of good intentions," says Koren. "But it never happened."

We all know why: Booting-up your computer, plugging in your camera, uploading pics to the hard drive and finally choosing what to send to the web is universally annoying.

Koren came home and cornered his geeky friends -- some worked at Cisco, others at Wi-Fi vendor Atheros, and a few even labored away at Apple. He posed a question to them: Why do digital pictures so often end up trapped inside cameras?

And then they figured out a way to easily set them free.

Two-and-a-half years of intense work later, they produced a 2-GB SD memory card mated with a Wi-Fi chip.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireles.../2007/11/eyefi
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Re: Eye-Fi: How One Little Chip Will Change the Way You Share Pi

Genius. We, of all people, need this.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: Eye-Fi: How One Little Chip Will Change the Way You Share Pi

Amazing they fit a wifi chipset and antenna into an SD card. It is extremely disappointing that the Canons and Nikons of the world never embraced the concept for their SLRs, if not within the camera then with external attachments. The only cams I've seen with built-in wifi are midrange P&S models.

Too bad they don't have a CF version.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9