Thread: IB 346 Ovveruns The Runway In Quito ( PIC Inculuded)

IB 346 Ovveruns The Runway In Quito ( PIC Inculuded)

Hey Guys:

LOOK AT THIS!!!

[jetphotos:ac5ab]http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6104979[/jetphotos:ac5ab]

That is one sad looking IB 346, according to the quote- it landed in bad weather and skidded out of control and ended up like this. That must have been pretty scary to see a plane this long go out of control.. Any more info is appreciated.

Here she is in a happier time.

[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/1120361/L/[/airliners
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

Re: IB 346 Ovveruns The Runway In Quito ( PIC Inculuded)

Holy Moly! Gordon may might want to look away. Thankfully no fatalities
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Wowww I shot that plane in San Jose, Costa Rica and several times here in New York...and I'm flying Iberia in March. Que mala suerte!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    "BANK M*THER$@*#^$, BANK!!!"

[jetphotos:766b8]http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5826558[/jetphotos:766b8]

Thats Josh's Shot of her... Nice One too btw. Is this the first A340-600 accident?
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

http://www.elperiodico.cat/info/gale... ... aleria=969

heres some more interesting pictures - again Gordon this might kill you here buddy. :cry:
    -Bobby Catone

ˇJoder, no mi bebe! :shock:

I'm glad no one was hurt and hopefully that isn't a write off, she looks pretty badly damaged. :(

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    ˇJoder, no mi bebe! :shock:

I'm glad no one was hurt and hopefully that isn't a write off, she looks pretty badly damaged. :(

wouldn't be surprised if she is. that far from home withe severe structural damage... gonna cost a lot to get her flying again. the question now is is iberia willing to spend the money to get her flying again or can they make do without the airplane? do they have any more A346s on order? airbus will probably pitch in, though replacing a landing gear and engine mounts isn't something you do on the ramp in bad wx. does quito have a hangar big enough to do the work? lots of questions now, and lot's of money is going to be involved. it's all up to IB managment.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Matt's questions there is accurate. Iberia needs to figure out if the costs in fixing the aircraft will be worth it, or if the aircraft can be valuable for parts (even though it seems two of the engines have been destroyed).

The picture doesn't show enough, but maybe there was not any structural damage beyond the gear and the two engines. Best case scenario, as I see it, remove the two bum engines, add just one good one and ferry the plane with 3 engines to an MX facility. I doubt they and the plane are that lucky though.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Iberia does need every A340-300 and A340-600 that they have, especially approaching the holiday season. I believe Iberia currently has 3 more A340-600s on order due for delivery in late 2008. If EC-JOH ends up being a write off I can see Iberia leasing out another 747 to help out until the next 3 A340-600s arrive.

Iberia does need every A340-300 and A340-600 that they have, especially approaching the holiday season. I believe Iberia currently has 3 more A340-600s on order due for delivery in late 2008. If EC-JOH ends up being a write off I can see Iberia leasing out another 747 to help out until the next 3 A340-600s arrive.

Bobby to the rescue ;)

cancidas I already posted that link ;) lol
    -Bobby Catone

You also have to consider that because of the forces from the gear and engines up into the wings and fuse they are going to have to do very extensive inspections and possibly repairs to the fuselage and wing spar depending on the circumstances. They will have to pull the DFDR and take a look I would imagine first and foremost.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    The picture doesn't show enough, but maybe there was not any structural damage beyond the gear and the two engines. Best case scenario, as I see it, remove the two bum engines, add just one good one and ferry the plane with 3 engines to an MX facility. I doubt they and the plane are that lucky though.
    It looks pretty unlikely that the airplane would even be flyable if they replaced the engines...that one engine got ripped off the pylon, which probably did some pretty good damage to the wing.

But, even if the plane is a writeoff, they can probably salvage quite a bit for spare parts. Everything inside the plane (seats, food service equipment, avionics) is probably still in good condition...