Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: _

_

_

Re: JFK november 8th, 2007

Hi Russ,

What spot were you at that the police visited you at?

Unfortunately, I would recommend to get used to visits from police. The best thing to do is to be kind, polite, smile, and do as they say, even if what they are telling you might be unfair or wrong. You can always discuss with the officers' superiors later, but when you're IN the situation, he has much more power than you do.

Your shots look good. Hope you had a good time.

-Phil
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Sounds like he was in the cargo area.

that cops wont ever dare to look at ur pics
    It is rare in NY but I had the Goodyear PD called on when I was in AZ once and they very thoroughly questioned me and looked at the shots I took. Let them look, like you said you have nothing to hide.

I don't know i'm relatively new at this, so should i just dismiss it as a completely normal thing -
    It's going to happen. Phil is right just comply with their wishes, but I think it's important to let the officer know that when they say av-photo is illegal that he is mistaken. If you are shooting on private property and he is asking you to leave fine, but I think it's important to let LO know we are not going to be scared with laws that don't exist.

Nice shots, the 732 is always a nice catch.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

To which cop replied "i really dont care about your websites".
    LOL

Classic example. Most cases like this the officer is just trying to get you to leave. Especially if he has received a call from a resident and they don't want you there or want any more people getting on the phone. Better to just go. The spot you decribed sounds great for shooting but high visibiliy. You can always bring a baby with you. :mrgreen:
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Russ, you got some nice shots and thanks for posting them. It sounds like you handled your self and the situation well, and as Phil said it probalby won't be the last time. But it is very important not to let that discorage you from enjoying our great hobby. It sounds like you where in a location where the residents are not used to seeing photographers, so to them you may have seemed supsicious. Enjoy your next outing.

Regards

LGA777

Yes, as Nick says, bring a baby with you! (inside joke I guess). haha

So we see this was not cargo plaza, and a spot where he was probably approached by NYPD. With it being a new spot, as said, residents and police in the area are not used to an enthusiasts' presence. As Nick said, they just want you gone, they don't know that we are out there all the time anyway, and because of that lack of awareness, some officers think that enthusiasts can be scared away.

Again, all unfortunate and disappointing.

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

I strongly suspect some cops chase us off because they don't want to be bothered with the calls. Which, to a certain extent, is understandable. But it sounds like you handled the situation well.

I've decided I'm going to start getting the name and badge number for every cop who stops me while spotting. I figure, if I'm going to complain when a cop is obnoxious, I should put in a good word for the ones who deserve it, right? :)

Quote Originally Posted by RussK19
    then the police officer asked to see my pictures, and eventhough i read here on the forum and have been told by another photographer in person that cops wont ever dare to look at ur pics (even if you offer them to look :) ).
    When Myself, Gordon, and Kenny were out spotting at the mounds, the police asked to see our photos as well, I don't think it is that strange.
    nwa FOREVER!

Adam, I think it's a great idea to perhaps carry around a notepad and get the name, badge numbers, & precincts of the cops we speak with. I think it's a good way for us to effectively communicate with law enforcement about both our positive and negative experiences. What does anyone else think of this?

Russ- Great shot of the 732, I miss those birds!
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Also a photography question if you dont mind, I was very surprised to discover two black spots on my Nikon D40's pictures,
    I'm pretty surprised since
    #1) - i've only used ithe camera three times so far
    #2) - i've only replaced lenses twice both in doors. And was very careful to make sure dust doesn't get in there.
    #3) yesterday i looked at the sensor thingie, it looks spot on clean with no dust particals on it.
    Soooo my question is, what do you (MUCH MORE EXPERIENCED) photographers think these two spots could be, They are not THAT visible on a regular image but become apparent on blue sky, so i tweaked the contrast to make you guys see what i'm talking about more clearly.

Do i have any options on how to get rid of these ? :cry:

Yup, those are dust spots.

Cameras can come with dust (and oftentimes do) out of the factory. Go get your sensor cleaned.
    nwa FOREVER!

Aha Didnt know that:) thanks!!!

I don't think it's a big deal for a cop to look at your pics, but if they ask you to delete them, then I'd put up quite a protest.

As for the officer saying that people were bothered with your presence, that's honestly their problem. However, if there are enough calls, I think that what we're doing can be considered a disturbance.

As for the officer saying that people were bothered with your presence, that's honestly their problem. However, if there are enough calls, I think that what we're doing can be considered a disturbance.
    Hmmm I tell you Phil yout attitude towards people that don't understand our hobby perplex me at times. I kind of remember someone calling 911 when they saw people videotaping scenery off of a bridge? When you called 911 did the operator tell you "honestly, it's your problem?"

I have been kicked out of places numerous times. Probably due to the fact that people mistook me for someone suspicious. If it's private property you have to go, just comply. If you can talk to the officer and explain yourself fine. You sometimes will able to stay. Sometimes you will be asked to leave.

if there are enough calls, I think that what we're doing can be considered a disturbance.
    So how many is that? Phil if one person calls and the officer doesn't want you to remain your a disturbance. Unless of course you have a baby with you or a 15yr old.

When I say "It's their problem", I am referring to it being enough to warrant and officer to eject your from public property. It's not to imply that they were wrong or it doesn't matter....just that a phone call or two from people shouldn't be enough for a cop to tell you to leave. You're talking about something different.

You ask how many that would be, but I'm just saying that it's an excuse that an officer can use and interpret if he/she feels the need to. Could be one, could be a dozen. Just saying that it's an excuse that CAN be used...whether it's fair or not.