Thread: LAX - Sepulveda Near In-N-Out - 10/30/07

LAX - Sepulveda Near In-N-Out - 10/30/07

On my first trip to LAX and the wonderful In-N-Out Burger, it was around 4pm and the sun was sliding more and more to the west, meaning I had to stand on the opposite side of the planes from In-N-Out to get good light. The best spot, it seemed, was next to the big LAX sign on Sepulveda, so I crossed the street. Right after shooting something on final, from behind me I hear "Sir, you can't do that here sir." I turn around and sure enough there's an LAPD black & white car parked there with a cop walking toward me.

Me: "Sorry, officer? I can't take photographs here?"
    Officer: "Correct."
    Me: "It's my understanding that the constitution protects this sort of thing."
    Officer: "Yes, but because of federal regulations and national security, you can't photograph airplanes here."

Right.

After protesting a bit more he mentioned that I was on airport property, at which point a.) I wasn't certain whether I actually was on LAX property or not (I was on the sidewalk, not the grass next to the sign) and b.) I wasn't certain that photography is allowed on LAX property. Without knowing for sure if I was in the right or not, I backed down and didn't press the point any further.

Anyway, despite repeating the b.s. "federal regulations" line and mentioning that he was "being a nice guy" by warning me about these regulations (as if he didn't have jurisdiction, but a black chopper might swoop down and drag me to Guantanamo if I didn't obey), he was courteous, and we talked a bit, he asked where I was from, if I was doing it for work or as a hobby. Apparently someone had called in to report me, or more likely the guy with a P&S about halfway down the block who had been there before I got there, and he said it wouldn't be a good idea to stay because someone else would call and he'd have to come back. I told him it was my first time in LA, he told me he was visiting NYC for the first time next week and he asked for some important sights that he should see.

After the obligatory ID check, I asked him if it would be okay to shoot from the park next to In-N-Out. He said no, the whole area was off limits. But he suggested "a hill" that I COULD shoot from unimpeded because it's "a tourist area." He gave me directions to it and sure enough it was Imperial Hill. After sneaking in a couple of shots while walking back to the car at In-N-Out (had an awesome KLM 744 shot, but I was on the wrong side so it came out crap :evil:) the lady and I drove over to Imperial Hill until the sun got too low to shoot anymore.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: LAX - Sepulveda Near In-N-Out - 10/30/07

Inn and Out park is not off limits...Its a public park. I know that they do get a bit upset if people shoot street side, I think more so for their own safety as it can be a distraction to passing cars. However Inn and Out Park is perfectly fine to take pictures from.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I think more so for their own safety as it can be a distraction to passing cars.
    That's true, it is unusual to see anyone moving without the assistance of a motor out there. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I shot along Sepulveda Blvd. for quite some time earlier this month. Never had any problems from LAPD. Actually met up with a few Brits in the process. I also shot from In & Out park with like 10 other people.

Off limits? Federal regulations?