Thread: Constructive Criticism Time!

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Constructive Criticism Time!

So I finally got my hands on a copy of Photoshop, and messed around with one of the more interesting photos I took last weekend. (It was a combined effort by the MTA, Andy, and I. The MTA made it very difficult for me to get to Firestone, so Andy picked me up from the airport, and he was driving when I stuck my head out the window to take the picture.) Here's what I ended up with:

Obviously, the results are better than what I've been posting here thus far. But what can I do better (other than spending $2000 on camera equipment)? I'm having second thoughts about having made the sky more blue. And it was overexposed to start with; I didn't have time to switch to F8.0. And I think I'm going to start shooting in RAW now that I have Photoshop.

But if I were to, say, submit this to a.net, would they laugh at me? :)

Thanks all!

Re: Constructive Criticism Time!

As much as I love driving under there with the planes taxiing overhead, and it reminding me of that great feeling, I don't think this photo would get accepted. Too much of the aircraft is covered up from view.

what settings were used for this shot?

As for RAW, I would wait a little bit longer, especially if you just recently got photoshop. I would try to become a master of both camera and photoshop before tackling raw. Just my thoughts.

I enjoy the shot though. Keep that up.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Re: Constructive Criticism Time!

If my biggest problem is composition, then I'm headed in the right direction :) I did this one first because it was a cool shot and I wanted an excuse to post it. I've got a few traditional shots from this weekend, and a whole bunch more from the rest of the summer that I'll attack at some point.

The settings were F6.3, 1/800 sec, ISO200. F8.0 would have been better at that time of day, but it's hard to switch when you have two seconds to get the shot :)

The custom firmware for my camera that does RAW has a RAW+JPEG mode, so I can have the RAW file to mess with when I'm in the mood to tweak, and the JPEG file to post in the nearer future. But the book I got has a lot of material on processing RAW, and it frequently applies to the problems I have with my shots, so I want to try it.

I'll post some more tonight; I don't think it will take me three hours to edit a single shot now that I've been through the process :)