Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning: Mileage Run on NWA DC-9's

Planning: Mileage Run on NWA DC-9's

So being an avid videographer when I fly and also a great admirer of the DC-9 and particularly its JT8D engines, I've decided that I don't have enough videos or flights on the DC-9. Before NWA starts to really phase them out and it gets harder to find flights on them, I think it's time for a mileage run that takes me on several DC-9's.

So I found the following same-day itinerary (Sunday 10/28) that I think is suitable:

NWA898 JFK-DTW 319 9:00-11:08
    NWA291 DTW-MEM D95 12:10 - 1:04
    NWA1562 MEM-BNA D9S 2:40 - 3:39
    NWA1740 BNA-DTW D95 5:07 - 7:45
    NWA897 DTW-JFK D9S 9:11 - 10:54

Price: $271 with taxes.

What are your opinions? I think the price for 4 DC-9 flights is pretty good. Anybody know of anything better? Anybody brave enough to come with? There are lots of window seats open in 3 out of the 4 flights towards the back! :twisted:
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Re: Planning: Mileage Run on NWA DC-9's

I wish I could come. That sounds like a pretty good deal though. Hope you have fun.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Hmmmm............... I am not a skyteam client but I very well could become one for the right price.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Well, I don't think you get a whole bunch of mileage out of this, it looks like only about 2600 miles. But I'm thinking I really want to do this for the DC-9's. The mileage doesn't hurt though...

I haven't booked it yet, but I think I will by end of day. Can anyone see any reason not to?

Just the lack of a lot of miles.

Does NWA do a segment system also like AA to get elite status? If so, the segments definetly will not hurt your elite status with NWA or skyteam.

Otherwise, ANY excuse to fly DC9's is excellent.

Though I admit I would not spend the money to do such "short hauls" around the midwest.

Maybe do a JFK-DTW-LAX-MSP-MEM-DTW-JFK?

This time you get 6 segments, some DC9 and longer routes meaning more miles, but if your just going for the DC9, then go for it.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Well, I booked the itinerary! I decided that since the DC-9 is one of my favorite planes and will soon be gone from US domestic service, I couldn't not take the opportunity. I have to admit, the prospect of doing my first mileage run (although not really for the miles) and of hopping on 5 flights no more than an hour and a half inbetween each is really exciting!

I also reserved seats towards the back of each of the DC-9's as well! This is gonna be a blast! :)

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

What happens when the pilots don't show up for one of your flights? :D

Quote Originally Posted by kc2aqg
    Well, I booked the itinerary! I decided that since the DC-9 is one of my favorite planes and will soon be gone from US domestic service, I couldn't not take the opportunity. I have to admit, the prospect of doing my first mileage run (although not really for the miles) and of hopping on 5 flights no more than an hour and a half inbetween each is really exciting!

I also reserved seats towards the back of each of the DC-9's as well! This is gonna be a blast! :)
    You can borrow my hearing aids bro when your done flying! :)

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

LOL to both of you!

I had considered the idea that I could potentially get screwed on the scheduling, especially with it being Sunday and a late arrival, but I figured it would be worth the chance. Worst case I can go into work a little late the next day or take a personal day.

As for the ear plugs, I still maintain that there's nothing sweeter to the ears than a good ole' JT8D!

I am pretty impressed you came up with that routing and all on DC-9's, have a great time and I agree with you about the sounds of the JT8D's, even hush-kitted they still ROCK !

Cheers

LGA777

Dang Andy, that is awesome. Wish I would see the faces of those pilots when you tell them about it before/after flight :) And they think I'm crazy for flying to NYC to go spotting once in a while :roll:

Dima
    Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.

I searched long and hard on NWA.com for that itinerary with all different dates and cities (I traversed their whole midwest route map!). It just goes to show you, if by chance you find the right combination, you win. I am sure I will be labeled crazy by many, but if I come home with a few good videos from the back of the DC-9, then it's all worth it!

That's pretty dam cheap for all those legs and a nice chunk of miles to! Sometime in 08 I want to do a JFK-DTW run on one of NWA's DC-9s. They'll be around for sometime but its a chance to fly on a classic.

Have a great time! I've never flown on a DC-9 that I remember, but I have flown on the 717. I am sure the engines are not the same, but the interior is I guess. I'm sure it will be a blast!
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Guys, when at DTW talk to your pilots about doing a powerback, there a blast!

Hey if any of you spend some sizeable time at DTW give me a PM!
    nwa FOREVER!