Thread: NYT Editorial : 9/11 Is Over

NYT Editorial : 9/11 Is Over

Just curious to see what you guys have to say about this article. I think this guy is completely spot on.

9/11 has made us stupid. I honor, and weep for, all those murdered on that day. But our reaction to 9/11 -- mine included -- has knocked America completely out of balance, and it is time to get things right again.
    Before 9/11, the world thought America's slogan was: "Where anything is possible for anybody." But that is not our global brand anymore. Our government has been exporting fear, not hope: "Give me your tired, your poor and your fingerprints."
    Full article here: http://www.spiegel.de/international/...509027,00.html

Re: NYT Editorial : 9/11 Is Over

a. The majority of Americans already think Rudy would make a lousy president. I am one of them.

b. I don't see any link between fighting terrorism (which is funded by the government) and getting a good cell phone signal (which is an entirely private enterprise save for FCC regulations, which also have nothing to do with the war on terror).

c. A lot of our nation's infrastructure is in dire condition, and I agree that urgent steps must be taken to avoid serious problems. But equating a bridge collapse where people were killed to a dingy but still perfectly functional airport terminal is lazy writing.

d. "I will not vote for any candidate who is not committed to dismantling Guantánamo Bay and replacing it with a free field hospital for poor Cubans." Right on. Chavez 08! :borat:

I agree that the country has a lot of work to do and that we've lost ground to other parts of the world. But that is not entirely due to our post-9/11 political atmosphere. The spread of wealth to previously impoverished nations and the reach of technology has grown exponentially in just the past few years, allowing them to catch up quickly. It's hard to say without seeing a breakdown of the numbers, but I'd speculate much of the travel growth in the EU has been in the direction of eastern Europe, where there is growing industry and there were simply very few flights in the past. There is also a huge influx of Middle Easterners heading toward the EU to fill menial jobs, similar to the flight of Mexicans to the U.S.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Then there's the subject of flying on 9/11. I flew on 9/11 this year, ATL-LAS on a 767-400. There weren't 50 people on the airplane. The next day, all the flights were full. People are letting the terrorists win by being terrorized on 9/11, even to this day.

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

What a bunch of Left wing trash...

"Where anything is possible for anybody."
    We still are but the fact is we cannot let just anyone into our country. In influx of Muslims in countries like England, Germany, France, and Canada has totally destabilized the cultural base of those nations. It’s funny how it’s not reported in the mainstream media that everyday in France in the Muslim communities they are rioting and burning cars left and right. Do you know right now that in England there's a group trying to push through Sharia laws? So tell me do we want just anybody in this country?

Guantánamo Bay
    On the issues of Gitmo...let’s get one thing clear..Gitmo is first a Naval base that houses a prisoner camp and anyone who thinks we should close it better have a real good plan as to what to do with these model citizens. How many of these boys have been released only to be captured again in Afghanistan? The people down there are there for a reason plain and simple.

Roger Dow, president of the Travel Industry Association, told me that the United States has lost millions of overseas visitors since 9/11
    Total rubbish...Europeans are flocking to the U.S more and more since 9/11 because of the weak dollar. I wish I still remember the webpage with the numbers but numbers don't lie. Travel into the U.S has never been so strong.

I'd love to see us salvage something decent in Iraq that might help tilt the Middle East onto a more progressive pathway.
    Well here's one that the media loves to really ignore...Libya...Libya is in the process of normalizing relations with the U.S. Libya was a proven state sponsor of terrorism and if it wasn't for our involvement in Iraq no way would Libya have gotten the message they better come around to and join the society of nations.

Look at our infrastructure. It's not just the bridge that fell in my hometown, Minneapolis. Fly from Zurich's ultramodern airport to La Guardia's dump. It is like flying from the Jetsons to the Flintstones.
    One has nothing to do with another. LGA isn't about to collapse and kill people. Airports all around the nation are improving, DFW, IAD, SFO, SEA are just some examples of U.S airports that are clean modern and efficient.

We can't afford to keep being this stupid! We have got to get our groove back. We need a president who will unite us around a common purpose
    This is about the only thing I agree with in the story. In many ways our country is adrift but I don't think the issues that were talked about really are the core issues plaguing our nation today.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyNavy
    Then there's the subject of flying on 9/11. I flew on 9/11 this year, ATL-LAS on a 767-400. There weren't 50 people on the airplane. The next day, all the flights were full. People are letting the terrorists win by being terrorized on 9/11, even to this day.
    Funny I flew to BUF on 9/11 and both ISP and BWI were packed as well as the flights. Fares this year on 9/11 weren't any lower then they have been in the past. I don't think 9/11 plays a large part in ppls travel plans any longer.

We still are but the fact is we cannot let just anyone into our country. In influx of Muslims in countries like England, Germany, France, and Canada has totally destabilized the cultural base of those nations. It’s funny how it’s not reported in the mainstream media that everyday in France in the Muslim communities they are rioting and burning cars left and right.
    I don't think there's anything funnny about it, Tommy.
    Do you know right now that in England there's a group trying to push through Sharia laws? So tell me do we want just anybody in this country?
    And do you actually think they have a chance in hell of succeeding?

Meanwhile, here in AMERICA, the current party in power seeks to deny civil rights to groups of its own citizens in the name of God. But, that's a whole different subject.

And do you actually think they have a chance in hell of succeeding?
    In some towns in Canada they are Chris. As we've seen when the Muslims don't get their way they resort to all sorts of means to accomplish their desires. It was only reported last night that an elementary school here in the U.S can't celebrate Halloween or Christmas anymore because the Muslim population want their holidays to be more predominately featured. Christmas is a national Holiday, the holiday of "KaBOOM" isn't. Oh did you also hear about the shop owner in Reno who was flying the Mexican Flag over the U.S Flag? Some Vet took it on his own to promptly take the Mexican Flag down. These are the things that will erode our culture and values

When people came to this country in the past they would embrace the American way of life. Today they want to force their culture on us. IT has to STOP, America is a mature nation now we don't need to take in you're tired humbled masses yearning to keep their language, force their holidays on us, decide who they will pick up in a taxi cab, and feel their needs are greater then the needs of the nation.

I completely agree with you. But still, it isn't a one size fits all kind of topic.