Thread: For the Railroad fans

For the Railroad fans

I know there are a few railfans on this board that would enjoy this...

My friend found a line of abandoned trains south of Albany on Google Earth. Being that we are very interested in urban exploring and old stuff, especially involving trains, we decided to go take a look. After a bit of a hike, we arrive at the scene, and are totally in awe at what we found...the VERY FIRST ALCO/GE ELECTRIC POWERED S-CLASS train, 1-D-1. This was the prototype model; built in 1904, in service till 1965, just rotting away in the middle of the woods on an old cut-off siding. Thanks to the secluded area, she's pretty free of vandalism, but she's still very corroded.

Basically, every electric train in the US today can trace its roots back to this one.

Before removing vines:

...After...

The engine

The #100 is barely visible...

8/9/1986...Delaware and Hudson

Also, there were what seemed to be two RS3's, and 3-car restaurant circa 1960's

I have plenty more pics of the area (Google Earth coordinates 42°36'1.73"N 73°45'57.03"W), just need to process them all.

She's apparently owned by the local chapter of the National Historic Railroad Society, but we can't find any recent activity of this chapter, or even if it still exists. She may very well be completely abandoned. Anyone know someone who might want this thing?

Here's some technical specs:
    Built by American Locomotive Company and General Electric Company Schenectady, New York

SPECIFICATIONS
    Bi-polar motors: 600 volts DC, 3rd rail pickup
    Tractive Force-lbs: 4,870 cont., 15,200 one hr.
    Horse Power: 792 cont., 1695 one hr.
    Engine Weight: 113 tons
    47 were built as classes S-1, S-2 and S-3

Shortly after 1900 the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad (later to become the New York Central Railroad) initiated the country's first major main line electrification, the Grand Central Terminal project. For this they needed an electric locomotive capable of high speed service with the heaviest passenger trains, such as the 20th Century Limited - far exceeding the speed and power of any electric locomotive previously built. To meet this need, Alco and General Electric teamed up to produce the New York Central's "S" class locomotives for service between Grand Central Terminal and Harmon, NY, where the transfer was made to steam power.

The prototype, No. 6000, was built in 1904. Upon completion, it was operated on a test track between Schenectady and Hoffmans, near Amsterdam. In one demonstration, reported in Electrical World, No. 6000, pulling seven cars, developed a "striking lead" over a steam locomotive powered express train within a running distance of two miles. In one design change made early in its life the single axle leading trucks were replaced with two axle trucks, thus changing the wheel arrangement from 1-D-1 to 2-D-2. Note: For electric and Diesel locomotives the wheel arrangement designations are numbers for the quantity of unpowered axles, and letters for the quantity of powered axles, e.g., D=4 powered axles.

Additional orders by the New York Central brought the total for the class (S-1, S-2 and S-3) up to 47 by 1909.

This locomotive also was the prototype for model engines produced by Lionel and other model train makers of that era. Production of models of these locomotives continued until about 1930.

Number 6000 was renumbered several times by the railroad during its lifetime, ending up as No. 100. It remained in active service until 1965. The locomotive is owned by a local historical organization and is stored in the Capital District. It has been located outdoors for a number of years and is in a significantly deteriorated condition.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Re: For the Railroad fans

Amazing that something like that is just sitting out there. Since it went out of service in '65, it may well be that sometime between then and now the historical chapter became dormant. Anyway nice work and great pics, I am a fan of transportation and travel history in general so thanks for sharing.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Nice catch. The original Alco? That is great!

Been hankering hte idea of a trip up there to find the few working C-420's, formerly LIRR Alcos. Did you run into them too?

Look forward to more photos!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Thanks guys. Here's what she looked like in better times:

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    Been hankering hte idea of a trip up there to find the few working C-420's, formerly LIRR Alcos. Did you run into them too?
    I've come across one former LIRR engine, but its hardly working, and not a C420. I'll keep an eye out for those, though.

Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Neat stuff! Thanks for the tip, I usually take 2 trips to Albany a year, now I have another reason to get away from the family.

WOW that is amazing! I wonder is some preservation organization knows of her. Something like that should be pulled out of their and restored. Really though three cheers on capturing this, you never know when it might disappear.