Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATA or United to Chicago?

ATA or United to Chicago?

I'll be going to Chicago right after Christmas for a couple of days and have just recently started looking for fares. The chances of bad weather and delays around that time are high so my mother pointed out that we should try and fly out of LGA over JFK and EWR since it is closest to my sisters house where we could chill if anything were to go wrong.

Jet Blue, Continental, United, Delta, American, and ATA all generally have the same fare, however only United and ATA are from LGA.

I have yet to fly either airline before so I think it would be great to take one but I can't decide which. Of course United is ORD and ATA is Midway and United is an A319 and 757-200 while ATA is a 737-800 both ways.

From previous experience can anyone recommend ATA over United or United over ATA in terms of service?

Re: ATA or United to Chicago?

Both have no service to Chicago, ATA isn't bad, you can upgrade to biz class cheap which will get you on board first and you'll have more leg room. UAL has Eco Plus which you can also upgrade pretty cheaply to and is worth the extra few dollars. I'm not sure if UAL will offer buy board to Chicago from the New York area but if they do I'd go UAL otherwise if miles aren't a factor give ATA a try.

DL has LGA-MDW flights. I would go with ATA anyway because the planes they use are bigger than the ones Delta uses. I would avoid United so you don't have to go to O'Hare. ATA you fly to Midway.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

I'm biased towards ATa here. For you, it's a quicker drive to LGA, and cheap upgrade to what is a nice biz class product.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

But lets not forget United has Channel 9, live ATC from your seat, an awesome perk for flying UA.

LGA777

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i'd sway towards TZ. though if you're looking to fly the EMB-175 then definately try DL. besides, that way you can fly from the MAT which is an experience all it's own.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I'd go with ATA, if for no other reason than they are not too common and you're not as likely to fly them again as AA, DL, or UA.
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

I flew MDW-LGA yesterday on ATA and the plane didn't have a biz class section. :?:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    Jet Blue, Continental, United, Delta, American, and ATA all generally have the same fare, however only United and ATA are from LGA.
    AA has the most flights from LGA-ORD at 18 during the week. UA has 15. Not sure about ATA. I am biAAsed towards AA though as I have elite status and am usually able to get upgraded. They use the Super 80s which are a bit dated. When there are flight delays, the Admirals Club is a cool place to hang out and watch take-offs and landings. AA is also the only airline to fly from all three major airports (JFK, LGA, EWR) to ORD.
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

I had this decision to make for next week and ended up with UA thanks to Channel 9, potential to maybe get an Economy Plus seat and the fact that it gets me some mileage with a carrier I can fly internationally (which is what I usually redeem mileage for). But I ALMOST went with the DL since I like flying from the MAT and have heard the EMB175 is very comfortable.

The DL service LGA-MDW is on the E-170 but they do have E-175's on order.

LGA777

Matt, were you on a 300? Those are still making their rounds at LGA. The 800's if I am not mistaken all have the biz cabin on it. I have flown it from SRQ to IND when it existed on positive space business travel. It is a good product. Comfortable seating and all.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Yep, I didn't get a good look at the outside nor did I get the reg but it had winglets and FlightAware says it was a -800.

I just looked at Seatguru.com and it lists 1-class and 2-class versions of ATA 738s, so I guess they have some without biz. Also, I was seated in row 30, the last row, which the 733 and biz class 738 don't get up to. Note to all...try not to sit in row 30. For some reason the ATA site didn't let me pick seats (perhaps because it was the second leg of a Southwest itinerary?) and we were assigned them at the airport. Tiny pitch and no recline. Not fun.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'd love to take ATA or a Delta E-170 to MDW but my mother, who is deadly afraid of flying, has found out about the "runway" mishaps at MDW and refuses to fly there. I'd also like to fly into O'Hare since it is part of the "Chicago" experience!

So now the choices have been narrowed down to United, Continental or Jet Blue. I think I'm leaning towards Jet Blue but Continental means miles. I'm booking tonight so I'll let you guys know what the outcome is.

Just don't take the 8PM on jetBlue from JFK...its not pretty..

JetBlue Airways 8:00 PM JFK-ORD Delayed 83.33% of the time, average mins delayed- 109