Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Yard Friends

Front Yard Friends

When I go out my front door I never know what will be there:

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Re: Front Yard Friends

The bird and squirrel are cute....but burn the spider!

The spiders are very important!! They catch and eat the bugs. Last night I actually watched this spider make the web. It is amazing how it attached support lines to the awning then brought it over to a flower pot then down to the brickwork. Once done it worked hard on the web work. It proves to me the intelligence of these small animals.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Wow, nice shots! I really like the squirrel!
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    The spiders are very important!! They catch and eat the bugs. Last night I actually watched this spider make the web. It is amazing how it attached support lines to the awning then brought it over to a flower pot then down to the brickwork. Once done it worked hard on the web work. It proves to me the intelligence of these small animals.
    I HATE Spiders! Anything with more the two eyes is evil! LOLOL I would have taken out the flamethrower long before that bugger could have spun it first web! BURN IT! :twisted: :twisted:

LOL, as long as it was outside and we had eyes on each other we were cool. He did his thing and I stayed out of the way.
    Ronald Reagan

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Very nice shots EMShighway.

Like Tom, I hate the spiders when they invade our home but they can be beautiful. They are cheeky guests that always drop by where I don't want them!

Not to take away from your thread, but here's a little guy we saw in Northern Australia. His BODY was 1.5 inches long. I guessimate that from tip to tip he was about 3.75 inches long.

(Note: If you are a total arachnaphobe, be forewarned. The following image might make your gonads rescind up into your torso.)

And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Beautiful yet scary.
    Ronald Reagan

Cute pics, I see these things at my grandmother's house in Queens, sometimes there's even a possum or at least that's what I think it is. Have any of you seen possums around here, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Quote Originally Posted by Nonstop2AUH
    Cute pics, I see these things at my grandmother's house in Queens, sometimes there's even a possum or at least that's what I think it is. Have any of you seen possums around here, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
    Plenty of possums around. Seem as common as Raccoons, maybe more so.

They're frequently mistaken for large rats however, and this does not work well for them in their contacts with people. In fact they're our only marsupial; same as Kangaroos. They carry their young.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I have my own marsupials, they are sugar gliders.

Bridgette and Muskrat

Ronald Reagan

Wow EMS... Haven't seen a sugarglider since about 6 or 7 years ago. A friend had a couple - he lived not too far from LGA in fact; first time I saw Planeview Park.

Anyway, very lively animals.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

nice to see i'm not the only one with a birdbath in the yard.

not much in terms of wildlife out here, unless you're counting the cretins that come stumling out of the bar on tuesday and wednesday nights. i've got a shot of one of the central park falcons (or were they hawks?) that flew away from thier nest a while back, gonna work on finding it this week...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Bridgette and Muskrat, very cute. Remind me much of Tarsiers.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Tom, thanks for the info. I didn't even know that the raccoons were so common either. Tonight I was leaving my grandma's (about a block from Flushing Meadows Park) and ended up face to face with a raccoon that crawled out from under a minivan. He casually walked away and headed down an alley between the houses. So much of Flushing is getting paved over and otherwise 'citified' that it's nice to see there's still some wildlife around.