Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JFK - Sept 1

JFK - Sept 1

I got out to Firestone this afternoon, just in time to see the Primaris 767 arriving on 31L. We had a big group out again this week, including a pair of Joshs (May & Akbar), a couple of Gordons (father & son) and our very own Phil Derner, making a rare appearance!

It was many of the usual suspects, but here are some of my highlights:

Can't beat some 747 action...

With the missing sticker, it looks like they have a ghost along for the ride:

This one's for Mr. Derner:

Check out what's in the background...

I finally caught this one!

We saw four different Delta schemes!

Unfortunately, N702TW, an ex-TWA 757 came in on 31L...

For me, this was the highlight of the afternoon - first time I've seen this baby in the air!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: JFK - Sept 1

nice catch of the wingleted 757 and the the "ghost" of Tubular belle! Very nice effect and nose shot.

So you had a pair of Josh's, a pair of Gordon's and a Derner. Sounds like a full house, but in poker, its just 2 pairs and an ace ;)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Great shots!
    No problem out there today?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Quote Originally Posted by nikon50bigma
    No problem out there today?
    No problems with NCPD - they drove past once, and we just waved at each other. I think they are getting used to us. We did, however, hear some interesting comments from some of the passing cars - first time I've been heckled while spotting. And we did have one guy stop by and ask if the Emirates A380 was coming in today :shock:

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

really nice shots moose. It looked beautiful today
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Heckleing, that is a new one for me! Speaking of spotting I got one for the spotter blotter.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

A few more from Gordon's "suicide spot" that we went to after Firestone...it's a dirt parking lot with a lot of parked trucks just off the 4L departure path. A little advanced for me, photography-wise, but fun nonetheless :)

I really like how this one turned out, even though it's disastrously underexposed...

Ahh, Gordo, that spot was supposed to be a secret! :twisted:
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Today was a great day in terms of weather and there was a great group that showed up. There was absolutely no haze which was great and the 31's were used for most of the day!

I finally got to Howard Beach in some good weather.

Unfortunately most of my shots were overexposed from today but oh well.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

Gordon your shots are clear and crisp good job.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

>Unfortunately most of my shots were overexposed from today but oh well.<
    ]
    [/quote]

I guess I'm not a "perfectionist" like many of you guys :lol: but they looked fine to me, especially
    the last shot of what I would guess is the sun shining off the belly of the AA 763. That looks
    very cool.

We definitely had a nice day, and a nice crowd, for spotting. It's a little disappointing that they switched back to the 4s late in the evening, but we still had a nice, long day.

Bayswater Park

Not too much interesting going on here; not many heavies coming in, and eventually everyone interesting was lining up for takeoff on 31L, so we left, and shortly after JFK flipped to the 31s.

Howard Beach

After Bayswater, we headed over to HoBe to catch some departures. We stuck around to Thai, Etihad, Air China Cargo and ANA, then went and got lunch before heading to Firestone.

Firestone

After grabbing some lunch at Boston Market, we headed over to Firestone until the Supertanker came, the last arrival on 31R as they'd switched back to the 4s.

We caught two EOS flights; I've always missed them when I'm out spotting (literally watching them land as I'm driving down Rockaway Blvd.) so that was a pleasant surprise for me. I also think it makes for a much nicer photo when you can get some clouds behind the aircraft.

We didn't see any FedEx, which is a little unusual for me (I usually catch at least one every time I'm out), and they changed runways before Qantas came in (I hope it wasn't Wunala!), and it seemed like they were doing things a bit differently in terms of the runways: we had a lot of Delta coming in on the right side, and I saw a bunch of JetBlue headed to the left.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Damn nice shots. I'm about to head out to JFK -- I think Howard Beach to start, and maybe over by Boston Market if I can make it over there sans car.

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by Vidiot
    Damn nice shots. I'm about to head out to JFK -- I think Howard Beach to start, and maybe over by Boston Market if I can make it over there sans car.
    http://mta.info/busco/schedules/q111cur.pdf

Ah, that's very useful, thanks.

(I assume Firestone is over by Boston Market et al.?)