Thread: A DL/US trip report.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

A DL/US trip report.

This is my friend's email. He went to PHX last week with his 4 month old.

I asked how it went and what plane he took. Enjoy:

i don't know what kind of plane it was, dude! it had 3
    seats on either side of the aisle and it didn't crash. Mario assumes a 757?
    we flew delta down there. delta terminal at jfk was a
    nightmare. it took us 1 hour and 45 minutes just to
    get through baggage check. then Brenda ficticious name almost got
    arrested going through security (they took her cocoa
    butter skin moisturizer away and she yelled at the
    agent and said the one word you can't say in an
    airport ..."what do you think, there's a BOMB in my
    cocoa butter?"). funny stuff. the flight was pretty
    nice and we landed earlier than expected.

we flew u.s. air back home and their terminal was much
    better, but the phx airport security took forever
    (over an hour to get through security and once again
    we were running to catch our plane) and Brenda was
    choosen to have a "random" security check (random my
    ass).
    the flight home was smooth, but we had to purchase our
    meal on the flight for $5. that sucked.
    arizona was nice. the hotel was beautiful. i got a
    chance to golf with Brenda's dad and brother. we also
    experienced a small dust storm, pretty cool.
    the weather is way too hot for me though.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Re: a DL/US trip report.

Mario forgive me but you're "friends" sound like true assess.... First off I'm sure they are stretching the truth about how long it took them to get through security and to check their bag. Even at peak times in LA it doesn't take an hour to get through the checkpoint or to check bags. Even after a heard of Disney Cruise buses are let out at MCO does it take an hour to check you’re bag or get through security. As for her joke...not much I can say but again she's an ass and would have deserved to be taken into a room and questioned for her statement. Does she know how to read? I don't know how many times before you approach the x-ray device you are reminded of the size and package requirements of liquids, gels, and creams. While I might not agree with the liquid ban totally, it’s the rules and we have to follow them

The reality of their experience is this....They stood online for about 15 mins to check their bag complaining the entire time saying how ridiculous this is. They packed poorly and probably were the kind of people removing enough metal objects from their person to build a 3 story building while holding up the line for the rest. Then when the TSA agent asked to check their bag she got all pissy and decided to take it out on the TSA agent for her mistake. Then in PHX they felt that because of what happened in JFK is the reason she got chosen for a random check.

These two are obviously disconnected with how to properly travel in today's world and did nothing to prepare themselves for the changes that have taken place over the past few years.

The security lanes at PHX have been vastly improved and expanded over the past few years, and I would be shocked if it took anywhere close to an hour to get through security in Terminal 4. Every time I have flown through PHX in the past year, my average time in the security line and the US check-in line is probably 10 minutes or less each. The only time I have had to wait an abnormally long amount of time at PHX is when I was traveling to NY in March of this year, which is around Spring Break time. I waited in the US check-in line for about 30 minutes, and security for 15-20 minutes. But since I knew it was Spring Break time, I got to the airport a little earlier than I otherwise would have (only to take a 2+ hour delay due to "ATC", but that's another story...).

Of course, when you're either already running late or are upset at "the system", waiting in line for 5 minutes can certainly feel like an hour...

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Mario forgive me but you're "friends" sound like true assess....

First off I'm sure they are stretching the truth about how long it took them to get through security and to check their bag.

As for her joke...not much I can say but again she's an ass and would have deserved to be taken into a room and questioned for her statement. Does she know how to read? While I might not agree with the liquid ban totally, it’s the rules and we have to follow them.

The reality of their experience is this. They stood online for about 15 mins to check their bag complaining the entire time saying how ridiculous this is. They packed poorly .... Then when the TSA agent asked to check their bag she got all pissy and decided to take it out on the TSA agent for her mistake.

These two are obviously disconnected with how to properly travel in today's world and did nothing to prepare themselves for the changes that have taken place over the past few years.
    Tom, here is where your assumptions are a bit off.

You see, you and I and most of us online here are more than loosely familiar with TSA rules. And yes, these buddies of mine ( I take offense to calling them asses) do not travel. The first line of their email, " it had 3
    seats on either side of the aisle and it didn't crash" is a hint at this. But having seen the lines at JFK, 15 minutes is not true unless you do online check in w/o bags.

Second, have you ever seen AA terminal 9 at 8 am on a Monday morning? If you are in those lines waiting for gate agents, yes, you are looking at an hour, not 15 minutes.

So a) they are not travelers,
    b) it's their first trip with a 4 month old baby. That alone is cause for stress.
    c) likewise, they are probably not familiar with online check-in , etc.

Realize this: I showed you the email from a friend. One of the general traveling public who is not flying all the time like us. Dare I say most Americans are not traveling all the time to have memorized the TSA requirements. This is further exacerbated when traveling with an infant.

Even I 'screwed' up with the TSA last month. A few months ago, the trip with our baby was uneventful and smooth.

But when I went to Seattle last month and had shaving cream larger than 3 oz. (which went through the airports 3 times previously), I got some cocky TSA screener telling me "don't you know the rules, didnt you look at hte site?"

To which I replied: "Dude, look, a) don't talk to me like I'm your kid b/c I'll be talking to your supervisor next" and
    b) Yes I know your rules but spending time with my son forced me to overlook my packing. Things happen."

screener: "Well Ok, you have to surrender this chaving cream"

Mario "fine"

Screener: "So then you are surrending this today?"

Mario "Are you F#$%king kidding me? Is there a TV camera on? You just said 4 seconds ago I have to surrend this. "Have to" implies it is being forced. So why are you asking me again?"

Sorry Tom, but some of those screeners to learn to respect others. I'm not saying Brenda was right, (though its funny) When they get that, the cocoa butter takers will get theirs.
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    cocoa butter
    How can two things that smell and taste so good separately smell so bad as a cocoa butter product :?:
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Or be cause for possible arraignment! 8)

You see, you and I and most of us online here are more than loosely familiar with TSA rules. And yes, these buddies of mine ( I take offense to calling them asses) do not travel. The first line of their email, " it had 3
    seats on either side of the aisle and it didn't crash" is a hint at this. But having seen the lines at JFK, 15 minutes is not true unless you do online check in w/o bags.
    My assumptions are dead on Mario. First off I've traveled on an international ticket with AA at JFK during peak morning hours and I was checked in with bags and through security in 20 mins time. It does not take over an hour to check you're bags at any of the terminals at JFK if operations are running smoothly and even then when there's a bump in the operation an hour is pretty dam rare these days.

Second, have you ever seen AA terminal 9 at 8 am on a Monday morning? If you are in those lines waiting for gate agents, yes, you are looking at an hour, not 15 minutes.
    As I said in the above paragraph yes. I've also seen LAX, SEA, YVR, ORD, MIA, MCO, DFW, SFO, PHX, LAS, RNO, YEG, CLE, PIT, BUF, RDU, HOU, IAD, and YYZ at their peak times and not one of those airports has an hour’s wait time even with lines out the door. They are stretching the truth plain and simple, it did not take them over an hour to get to their gate from check in, I’m sorry I don’t buy it.

So a) they are not travelers,
    b) its their first trip with a 4 month old baby. That alone is cause for stress.
    c) likewise, they are probably not familiar with online check-in , etc.
    I'm not sure what this has to do with anything but wouldn't a logical choice before you travel with a baby is to perhaps look at what the current rules and regulations are? To me this would make you're trip allot easier. In general even without an infant its simple common sense to know what to expect at the airport.

Realize this: I showed you the email from a friend. One of the general traveling public who is not flying all the time like us. Dare I say most Americans are not traveling all the time to have memorized the TSA requirements. This is further exacerbated when traveling with an infant.
    It’s not the point of memorizing the TSA rules, the rules are pretty simple, 311. Again if was traveling with a baby I'd make sure I knew what the latest rules were to minimize my own stress level.

Sorry Tom, but some of those screeners to learn to respect others. I'm not saying Brenda was right, (though it’s funny) When they get that, the cocoa butter takers will get theirs.
    No its not really funny at all Mario...you don't joke about bombs and she's an ass for making that joke and she's lucky the TSA didn't haul her off to a room and question her for that statement. Even if she did by accident leave it in, which happens as I’ve done it, making a joke about a bomb is bloody stupid. I’ve only once spoken up to a TSA agent because they told me I packed wrong but in fact didn’t otherwise I think its wise to simple answer “yes” and “no.”

Sorry if you take offense but I think these two are asses plain and simple. I see they’re kind of behavior all the time and these people think the system has caused them the heartache and not their own actions, it’s a poor excuse to say "oh they don't travel much." Ignorance of current rules is not an answer. That’s like saying “oh sorry officer I didn’t see the speed limit sign.”

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    No its not really funny at all Mario...you don't joke about bombs and she's an ass for making that joke
    Sorry if you take offense but I think these two are asses plain and simple. ... Ignorance of current rules is not an answer. That’s like saying “oh sorry officer I didn’t see the speed limit sign.”
    Tom, she's no more an ass than you are for being so presumptive or Nick is for being Anet's posterchild.

Rare delays my butt. I'll show you rare.

As for not making jokes, sh'es wrong only in where she did it. Heck, we all have a piss on the TSA at least once a week.

Tom, she's no more an ass than you are for being so presumptive or Nick is for being Anet's posterchild
    Mario its not an assumption, its based on first hand expirence and observation.