Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly-in at Floyd Bennett

Fly-in at Floyd Bennett

There will be a fly-in on Sept. 8-9 at Floyd Bennett Field. I have no other information at this time. Does anybody know about this?

Re: Fly-in at Floyd Bennett

I heard the same thing from someone at the Airpower Museum, but haven't been able to find any details. Will post anything I come across.

What's a fly-in?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

It means no "air show" per se, but rather some planes/pilots land and take part in whatever the festivities/event might be.

My understanding is that expectations should be kept low for this years' event since they haven't had one for awhile - although there have been B-17s, DC-3s, C-54 (DC-4), and such before. Actually the Canadian Liberator came in one year.

Generally you can rely on some single engine props from the govt, and the NYPD, USA-Army, Coast Guard choppers as well. Maybe a blimp.

These fly ins at Floyd Bennett have been very sparsely attended events in the past - even with Air Force transport fly overs (C-17, StarLifter and Galaxy).

With such a low attendance, it would be hard ordinarily to bring back aircraft, but many aviators are interested in Floyd Bennett's historical significance and so are interested in visiting.

In the past, the crews/operators needed a place to stay (that I believe was accomodated by the Job Corps barracks), but they also wanted fuel (or cost) and the Park Service was no longer able to budget this. Not sure what has changed, but the fly in is good news.

If nothing else, we'll get to see whatever examples the Park Service wants to bring out into the light (for a change) and tow outside of the hangar the static aircraft and over to the terminal. You'll probably be able to get a tour of the tower as well.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Anyone up for taking pictures and perhaps working on an article for the site?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i'll be there phil. hope it's a flying saturday for me!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

The schedule for Sat. 9/8 is tentatively: 8AM helicopters arrive, 9AM Historic Aircraft arrive, the Fly-Over will be at 10 AM and the opening ceremony will be at 11:30. What planes would be included is a mystery.

Think I might go, sounds very interesting. Anyone care to join me shoot me a PM.

If the weather's good, I'll probably head out.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

A guy I know will be bringing in his Marine CH-46, along with a Huey and a cobra.

I would love to go guys but that is the same weekend as Oceana.
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

[quote="SCOTYDEMCO"]A guy I know will be bringing in his Marine CH-46, along with a Huey and a cobra.

Huh? :lol:

Will the powers that be pave over some of the runway? I recall quite a few potholes the last time I biked there. I guess it won't matter if the planes are VTOL or STOL.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

I am on vacay so if I happen to be in town for that particular day I might pop in for the fly over.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTYDEMCO
    A guy I know will be bringing in his Marine CH-46, along with a Huey and a cobra.

Huh? :lol:
    Let me rephrase that Gerard... A guy I know will be bringing a Marine CH-46. In addition there will also be a Marine Cobra and Huey in attendance.

Sounds better.
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild
    Will the powers that be pave over some of the runway? I recall quite a few potholes the last time I biked there. I guess it won't matter if the planes are VTOL or STOL.
    They fly a DC-4? out of there, the runway should be fine....the old runways have potholes and are usless unless there are puddles.... right Tom?

I am afraid to go back again since I almost hit a helicopter with my car....but that should be in a different thread! How did you miss that picture Tommy!!!! lolol, Good times!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".