Thread: Anyone else SCUBA?

Anyone else SCUBA?

after a few years of not diving I have started again this summer, and hope to be going this sunday, anyone else dive?
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Re: Anyone else SCUBA?

I got certified while I was in Japan and made about a dozen dives over there in Okinawa. Havn't gone since and that was in 2001-2003. Its crossed my mind to go take a refresher course.

I've only been once while on vacation in Aruba. Only in the pool of the resort we were staying at though. It was an introductory course for like, five bucks and then if you wanted to, the next day you could go out in the bay for a lot more money. It was a lot of fun though. I'd like to do it again though. It was very fun.

I am curious to know what all is involved in getting dive quals. Do you have to have soo many dives with an instructor to get qualified or is it a safety course?
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    I am curious to know what all is involved in getting dive quals. Do you have to have soo many dives with an instructor to get qualified or is it a safety course?
    No its easy Ryan you should try it, just sit there and try to hold you're breath with a bag over you're head for 2 mins, if you can do it you're in.

there is "classroom" class pool training and then after 4 or 5 open water dives to get certified. I used to teach. haven't in years but still know some people if you are interested or feel free to ask questions

I might be intrested actually. I will PM you in a lil bit about it.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I tried it a couple of times on vacation, although Im not certified...its fun...I would like to get certified. I read sometime there are certification classes done in Rockaway.

people used to do the dives off beach 8th St. not the ideal location most certification dive now are done at Dutch Springs Quarry in Allentown PA. which is perfectly set up for diving. http://www.dutchsprings.com/

I dive PADI, thats not a bad place to dive at Dutch Springs.
    It just gets a little boring after awhile, since there isn't really anything new there.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY