Thread: Amazing Military Shot

Amazing Military Shot

I'm not a fan of military aircraft but there are some planes that catch my eye and the B2 is one of them. To me this shot looks something out of a movie, it just doesn't seem real. The technology that built this aircraft is nothing short of astonishing and there's something about this picture that captures the mystery behind that technology.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1174840/L/

Re: Amazing Military Shot

That is a cool shot, Tommy. I love the lighting on it. Of course, everything looks cool out the back of a tanker 8)

I forget where B2s are based (some where in the middle of the country), but i heard that they ONLY fly their missions live from there. Imagine that....dropping bombs on the other side of the world after having departed form Kansas or wherever.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I forget where B2s are based (some where in the middle of the country), but i heard that they ONLY fly their missions live from there. Imagine that....dropping bombs on the other side of the world after having departed form Kansas or wherever.
    Yes, they are only based at Whiteman AFB, Kansas. Most sorties do originate and end at Whiteman, (which is why we always said "Not without a tanker") but I found this on the USAF Fact Sheet page for the B-2:

The combat effectiveness of the B-2 was proved in Operation Allied Force, where it was responsible for destroying 33 percent of all Serbian targets in the first eight weeks, by flying nonstop to Kosovo from its home base in Missouri and back. In support of Operation Enduring Freedom, the B-2 flew one of its longest missions to date from Whiteman to Afghanistan and back. The B-2 completed its first-ever combat deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, flying 22 sorties from a forward operating location as well as 27 sorties from Whiteman AFB and releasing more than 1.5 million pounds of munitions. The B-2's proven combat performance led to declaration of full operational capability in December 2003.
    Whiteman is currently undergoing major work on its runway, however work is being done in such a way as to not restrict flight operations:

I believe the forward operating location used for Enduring Freedom was the British base on the island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Isn't Whiteman in Mo?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Isn't Whiteman in Mo?
    Yes, it is. I'm an idiot.
    I was looking at Phil's post when I wrote Kansas.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

just goes to prove, never listen to the boss.... 8) :P
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.