Thread: TWA Convair CV-880 nose goes to Teterboro Aviation Museum!

TWA Convair CV-880 nose goes to Teterboro Aviation Museum!

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6036750

Finally after a lots of work and a long struggle with an Atlanta museum, ship # 3 nose section has left KACY this past Tuesday and now is at the Teterboro Aviation Museum!
    Records show this aircraft operated out of EWR at one time. This added to the nostalga of keeping it in NJ.
    Howard Hughes is believed to be at the controls of this very ship as well.
    Ship 3 is one of the original three used for certifications program and is spotted many times in General Dynamics ads in house colors.
    N801AJ was TWA's N803TW.
    TWA removed her from service 1/74, thanks to the fuel crisis. Later sold, ferried to Harlingen TX, then to Mojave for storage in 1980. Finally came out of storage in 91 and ferried to KACY 9/91 to the FAA test facility for fire/cabin smoke testing. The past two years produced this Convair plenty of heartache. Various buyers/collectors and museums attempted to keep her intact, but the cost of logistics was overwhelming. The soring scrap alloy pricing market fueled the scrapping of all but the front half-with the great hope it could be saved, and now is.
    The nose section will be restored and will be the museums flagship.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: TWA Convair CV-880 nose goes to Teterboro Aviation Museum!

shame they couldn't keep her intact, but at least she's not gone. i'm surprised the udvar-hazy center wasn't interested...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Pleny of interest -just no money :(

Glad you got that shot Mike.

Not a fan really of pieces of preserved aircraft but this is certainly better than nothing and a nice appropriate addition to the TEB NJ Aviation Museum.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

When the man says "lots of hard work and a long struggle" that is the understatement of the year! We tried for so long to keep everything together and we asked for help and funding. However, in the end nobody would come and help. So, with this said, all you vintage airplane fans should be thanking the only two guys who made this happen! Myself and Mr FlyingColors. The nose of ship#3 is now safe. I did not take #13 apart yet. If any of you Convair fans want to save one, the time is now. #13 keeps outrunning every scrapper. Maybe it really is a lucky number.

Nice job guys. Sorry there wasn't more $$ support, I guess a large jet (even a historically important one) is difficult to place, especially in the space-challenged Northeast, so at least you were able to save something.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHELIEU
    I did not take #13 apart yet. If any of you Convair fans want to save one, the time is now. #13 keeps outrunning every scrapper. Maybe it really is a lucky number.
    How much are we talking? I'd be shocked a commitee and web site couldn't get the contributions up using small individual contributions. I'll volunteer right now to help and pledge the first $100, OK who's next?
    Flight Schedule / flight sched·ule / (noun) - An entertaining work of fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartass Flyboy
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHELIEU
    I did not take #13 apart yet. If any of you Convair fans want to save one, the time is now. #13 keeps outrunning every scrapper. Maybe it really is a lucky number.
    How much are we talking? I'd be shocked a commitee and web site couldn't get the contributions up using small individual contributions. I'll volunteer right now to help and pledge the first $100, OK who's next?
    ....and that's why.
    Thanks for your desire to support. Its just not out there. The same reply from anet-zip.

It's now official, 13 is doomed to be scrapped.

The Convair CV-880 is antiquated. But its "just" a jetliner. Its how its perceived in this country - just an old worn out jetliner. Unlike a Connie- that's an ANTIQUE.

Mike,
    I was amazed when you told me what was being said about the aircraft. It was discusting to hear how joyous some of those people were about the destruction of these aircraft. I suppose if it was sports bar or a historic arena people would be giving up their first born to save it.

If this had been Europe one would have been in the process of being put back in flying condition and the other would have been back in TWA colors at the best museum they have to offer.

Senga