Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yummy Yum Yum

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Re: Yummy Yum Yum

Cooper35 on Cooper and 6th. Great chinese during the day and a pretty hopping bar at night.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

@ Nonstop2AUH...

As long as you ask for a table in the back at Calle Ocho, it does not matter AT ALL how rowdy the front is. The resturant is up a few stairs and down a narrow hall long enough to seperate you from crowd and noise and then it opens up to the dinning room. The last time I went was a Monday night, but we sat in the back---there could have been a nuclear war going on and we would not have known!

Thanks Lia, will check it out.

Ok, I know many of you are on LI, so tonight my friend took me to an Afghan place in Hicksville called "Ali Baba," was my first time there and the kebabs, rice and appetizers were really good. The attentive staff (well, attentive when not distracted by the satellite TV program they were watching) told me there's also one in Fresh Meadows Queens if that is more convenient for some of you.

While on the subject of LI dining, a couple of years ago I attended a memorial get together to honor a friend who had passed away, it was at a German place called Pumpernickel's, which had been one of his longtime favorites (he was also a big aviation fan and would have loved this site). It had a really nice, old-world, family atmosphere and even though I saw it under less than ideal circumstances, I'd recommend it if it's still the same, which I'd guess it probably is. Good place to drink beer, eat heavy food and think about old friends!

Probably not related, since it's not the MOST original name in the universe, but since you brough it up....there's an Ali Baba at 34th and 3rd which has great Turkish Food. :)

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Oh, another favorite is

L'Annam. Either on 28th and 3rd or 29th and 3rd. Great Vietnamese lunch specials for under 7 dollars. And very good portions.

If you are new to Vietnamese cuisine, start with L17 Bun Chao with chicken.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    Probably not related, since it's not the MOST original name in the universe, but since you brough it up....there's an Ali Baba at 34th and 3rd which has great Turkish Food. :)
    What Kind of food is exactly Turkish Food? - sorry to sound like an idiot but I seen the commercials and It seems like a good place to eat.

Again sorry to be off topic a little bit, but anyone know any good places where theres good Greek food?
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

There's a little place by me in Massapequa just across from All-American. Their food is aces.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

...but anyone know any good places where theres good Greek food?

Astoria.

Namely: Ovelia...or Opa! Opa!

Damm Mel!!!! you know where all the great places are ehh?
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

For those who are fans of life changing experiences:

Doughnut Plant
    (on Grand btwn Essex and Norfolk)

Doughnuts are OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD delicious and refreshingly unique.

Tres Leches Doughnut is on my top ten "Best Foods Ever in My Mouth" List

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY DOUGHNUT is not to be missed--imagine the sweetest, lightest, most perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwhich you've ever had lightly doughnut fried and glazed.

AMAZING.

MmmmmmMMMMMMmmmmMmmmmMMMmMmMmmmMmmmmMMmm!!!!!!

Defonte's Sandwich Shop on Columbia Street in Red Hook Brooklyn is a classic. I hadn't been there in about 2 years, but when I walked in today it was still the same smiling faces. The Salami and Provolone is excellent as is Ham, friend eggplant, and fresh Mozzarella on a hero. The eggplant is thinly sliced and dipped in flour then egg batter before being deep fried. As always they have fresh Roast Beef, Turkey, Corned Beef, Pastrami, Roast Pork, Potato and Egg, Pepper and Egg, and the Friday Shrimp and Calamari special. I used to ride a bike there from when I was about 10 to 15 when my fater was the dock boss at Piers 9-12 on Van Brunt Street, and introduced many a partner and student to their delicacies when I worked as a Medic in South Brooklyn.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Ah the food thread is back! Ok, since I was just in Chicago and I am sure some of you get out there on business too, I have to recommend the Billy Goat there, famous old burger dive right under Michigan Ave by the Wrigley Building, great for a quick lunch with some old Chitown "ambiance". It was the inspiration for John Belushi's classic "cheeburger" skit on SNL and that is what you must have if you go there because it is unlikely they will want to serve you anything else.

Back home, I had a cabdriver coming back from LGA who was actually from Corona (where shall we say I have some heritage), who reminded me that the Parkside there is still quite a good Italian place so I am planning to go soon since I've not been in years.