Thread: NYT: The Flights Are Long. The Planes Are Cramped.

NYT: The Flights Are Long. The Planes Are Cramped.

The Flights Are Long. The Planes Are Cramped.

AS if commercial air travel weren’t miserable enough, more airlines are using narrower jets on long-haul flights, putting an even greater squeeze on travelers in coach. Delta Air Lines is among the latest to announce plans to use the slim Boeing 757 on trans-Atlantic routes serving destinations like Britain and Ireland. Continental, which now flies 21 routes to 20 European cities with the 757, was among the first. Northwest and US Airways also have begun flying the narrower jets to Europe.

[...]

But the 757s, which are generally tolerated on shorter, domestic routes, tend to bring out claustrophobia in passengers on long-haul flights. Unlike wide-body aircraft like 767s and A330s, which typically have two aisles, a 757 has one, which means a lot less room for stretching cramped legs. Because the 757 has no two-seat rows in coach, just three seats on each side of the aisle, there is a higher chance of getting stuck in a middle seat. And while most airlines using the 757s on trans-Atlantic flights are reconfiguring their premium class cabins with better seats and entertainment systems, the coach cabins haven’t been changed all that much.

[...]

The use of 757s on trans-Atlantic flights was recently made possible by so-called blended winglets — new devices on wings that reduce drag, increase fuel efficiency and boost flight range. The 757, which took to the skies in the early 1980s, was used at first on mid-length domestic flights and then, after regulations were changed to allow twin-engine airplanes on longer routes, also on transcontinental flights. The new winglet technology, further expanding the 757’s range, allows United States carriers in search of new markets overseas to expand service to more regions, often with direct routes to smaller cities — moves they wouldn’t be able to justify using larger planes that eat up more fuel and have many more seats to fill.

[...]
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Re: NYT: The Flights Are Long. The Planes Are Cramped.

Phil, the "other" one,

It is interesting to note the changes that have been slowly going on in the airline industry over the last decade plus. And, unfortunately, these changes in my opinion aren't very good.

I started traveling on business back in 1977 and for almost 30 years I virtually lived on planes every week. In the 70s, 80s and early 90s when I flew from New York to many of the more popular cities like Chicago, St. Louis, Boston, Miami, Dallas, L.A. and San Francisco I flew on wide bodies. DC-10s, L-1011s and 747s were the norm. The last redeye flight I did from LAX to EWR in April 2005 we ended up on a cramped United A319. It seems the tendency today is to have more frequent flights with smaller aircraft. The benefit is the ability to choose a time for your flight. The disadvantage is the cramped cabins of the smaller aircraft and the delays because of the increased traffic when things aren't always perfect, like the weather.

Add to that the total lack of service that seems to prevail today makes flying a not so enjoyable experience. I remember the days when I'd fly from NY to Raleigh-Durham on an AA flight and get served a dinner, then connect in Raleigh-Durham to Birmingham, AL. It was only an hour from RDU to BHM, but I'd get another dinner. I can't remember the last time I had a dinner on a domestic flight.

I guess I was lucky to have been doing my flying back then and not today.

Art

Well a quick search on Kayak shows this:

Time in a 757 to London (from JFK): 7 hours exact

Time in a 757 to LAX (from JFK): 6 hours 20 minutes

so your just on the airplane 40 more minutes.... whats the big deal?
    nwa FOREVER!

I'm going to Kuwait on a 757 this weekend. :-/

To me, the article looks like it was a slow news day.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    No, the Travel section has an article just about every week about how customer-unfriendly the airline industry is and how it's getting worse.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

jumpseat or cabin? hope you've at least got the cabin. if i were, take a sleeping bag and ask the crew to heat and pressurize the aft bin.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

OUCH! I hate the prospect of flying to KOA on a 757 from PHX but that takes the cake.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"