Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to see some A340s on the US register?

Want to see some A340s on the US register?

Got an email today from US Airways urging DM members to sign their petition to support their DOT application for PHL-PEK service. On the website, which I linked below, there is some detail about their proposal including the fact that they intend to operate with A340-300s configured 42/227 (and using flight number 888 of course). I had heard some speculation US was interested in Air Canada's A345s, but apparently they would go for the -300 model. I can't speak to the merits of this China route vs. other applicants, but I do know I'd like to see an A340 flying with an N-registration!

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/ab ... 1_em_china

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Want to see some A340s on the US register?

as an employee i can't agree with them using -300 models for this service. IMO, shame on mgmt!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

The -500's are going to TAM in October.

I on the other hand would not want to see a 340 with an N registration. sorry but the sexiest thing about that aircraft is its climb performance.....ahahahahah (or lack of!).

Besides the A-340 is ugly and those front windows....geesh
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I personally do not want the 340's if they are 300's. Peices of garbage and they are going to cost us a arm and a leg because it would be a new fleet type. Granted it would mean just diffrences training for those lucky enough to have the seinority to bid it but no thanks. Lets look for something that is not going to burn a hole in the pockets of US.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    I personally do not want the 340's if they are 300's. Peices of garbage and they are going to cost us a arm and a leg because it would be a new fleet type. Granted it would mean just diffrences training for those lucky enough to have the seinority to bid it but no thanks. Lets look for something that is not going to burn a hole in the pockets of US.
    Well said, I concur -Fred
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Maybe they meant to put A330-300, as US has that type. It would be a mistake to invest in A343s, when they and A342s are the worst performers of Airbus's A340 fleet.
    Nick S. @ EWR

I agree it would be better to have -500s but there aren't many out there, and there are quite a few -300s available on the secondhand market, probably at lease rates that are good enough to justify the operating cost. Even airlines that can well afford new aircraft, like EK and EY, have picked up a few to fill gaps in their systems because for certain niches, it's very suitable equipment that is readily available. For US I don't think it's a bad idea because a) afaik the A330 can't make PHL-PEK nonstop (correct me if wrong but only the A340 or 777 can) and b) in addition to flightdeck commonality, the -300 has the CFM56 which US already has on 'eastern fleet' 'buses. Since they would only need a small subfleet for a dedicated purpose (the Beijing route) thse factors make it a sensible choice. But I doubt they will get this route without major political intervention, if US wants China service they should apply for Las Vegas to Shanghai as I could see much more demand for that!

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

buying the -300s is a waste of money. a better investment would have been to aquire some -500s, if not from AC then to get them from airbus while they were negotiating the A350 deal. (another mistake!)
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I hate to rain on the parade here, but US is not likely going to get China authority. There is overwhelming negative comment being sent to DOT.

I cannot imagine giving additional international authority to an airline which cannot even properly manage what it currently has. Unless or until they get their operational act together, I can name at least 800 people who are opposed to US getting the authority.

Ryan, you and the others are my friends, but if US can drive away a fiercely loyal customer like myself and many of the other FFOCUS members, they don't deserve China or anything else.

Besides, they'd only try to put 450 seats in the 340 now wouldn't they?

I see the award going to CO or DL--companies that are capable of managing the route.
    It's the fares, stupid

I have always been a fan of theA340-200/300 series. I also like the 500 series of the NG stuff. However lI still ike the 300 the best. I think having some 300s around can't hurt. I think its a good thing. its an "Older plane" and I cant really complain about an airline getting older aircraft in their fleet with eveyrone else looking "forward". Just gives us a little bit longer to have some of the older stuff around.
    If this has the chance of being the first US registered A340(s) I think pretty cool and I'm all for that.

They may be slow climbers but they sure give home of the best Tom Turner 31L shots and shots in general.
    Low and slow is how I like it.

Senga

No turn out shots like that from PHL though which is where you will be able to capture it in the states IF it ever happens.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Thats true :)
    Senga

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31

Unfortunately, one of the China authorities to be given out is for a new entrant, and I believe the only competitors for that one are US PHL-Beijing and MaxJet SEA-Shanghai.

A340-300 is the cheapest long range aircraft you can lease right now, Airbus would love to help US out with a few used lease aircraft and then transition them into some returned A340-500/600 later. Reaching SHA from PHL with a full load may require a tech stop and using the Russian polar route will also be very interesting.