Thread: Skybus Flight Reviewed in SmartMoney

Skybus Flight Reviewed in SmartMoney

SmartMoney Magazine's consumer reporter reviewed flying on Skybus. She was taken aback by the lack of uniforms on the pilots, the paper sign indicating Skybus' presence at Portsmouth, and the $9.30 fare to CMH. But overall she liked the experience.

Busload of Sales Pitches
    By Anne Kadet
    Published: July 27, 2007

SOMEDAY, THE ONLY difference between the rich and the poor will be the amount of advertising you're subjected to. Already, you can get everything from free Internet access to cellphone service by agreeing to watch ads. One Japanese company dispenses free soft drinks to folks who view 30-second commercials on its vending machines. And here in the States, we now have Skybus, a new discount airline offering $10 fares — along with ad-plastered planes and flight attendants who sell everything from nasal spray to tennis bracelets. More...
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Skybus Flight Reviewed in SmartMoney

I was skeptical of this concept at first, but the more I hear about it and the more I realize what people will do to save even a small amount of money, the more I believe this will do very well (as Ryanair has done in Europe). Americans in recent years have proven themselves very willing to endure heavy advertising and minimal service to get something for less. In fact, I would say younger generations (e.g. people under 30) have come to expect that all businesses except those that are 'premium' work this way. Having a sponsor for the announcements is a bit much though, as in "today's water landing is brought to you by Dasani..."

Re: Skybus Flight Reviewed in SmartMoney

I would not mind flying Airbuses in kahki cargo shorts, polo shirts, and boat shoes. With a Panama Jack hat .
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"