Thread: Explosion Kills Three at SpaceShipOne Testing Facility

Explosion Kills Three at SpaceShipOne Testing Facility

Explosion Kills 3 at Mojave Airport

Jul 27, 9:06 AM (ET)

By ALICIA CHANG

MOJAVE, Calif. (AP) - An explosion that killed three at a Mojave Desert airport during testing of a new space tourism vehicle has shaken a small community that prides itself as the hometown of the first private space launch.

The blast Thursday at a remote test facility belonging to Scaled Composites LLC critically injured three other employees working on a propellant system for the vehicle.

The company, headed by maverick aerospace designer Burt Rutan, made history in 2004 when its SpaceShipOne became the first private manned rocket to reach space. Since that milestone, Rutan has partnered with British billionaire Richard Branson to build a fleet of commercial vehicles dubbed SpaceShipTwo for Virgin Galactic. More...
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Explosion Kills Three at SpaceShipOne Testing Facility

CRAP, I wish Burt and the rest of SC the best. Truly a big setback in the space program!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Re: Explosion Kills Three at SpaceShipOne Testing Facility

This is truly horrible, I send my condolences out to them. I would love nothing more than to be living out in the desert and working under the great Mr. Rutan, and I really hope they will continue doing what they have been doing. This entire private space venture is just like another Space Race; attempting to achieve goals that have been done before, but this time in a different arena. There will be many setbacks and hardships, such as this one, but they should definitely keep going.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com