Thread: American Airlines pilot penalized for sticker on plane

Re: American Airlines pilot penalized for sticker on plane

Quote Originally Posted by Informant
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    After UBT
    started at Randolph in the 96th
    ended in the 434th in Holloman.

Seems like you guys made a splash across the web.
    http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/sh...ad.php?t=15047
    '76? A couple of my friends fathers were around that time frame. Oh and I meant what squadron did you graduate from the Academy?

And pardon my ignorance, but what does UBT stand for? I'm trying to figure out what acronym the "B" stands for, but can't figure it out....

Anyway, nice to see a fellow-grad on here...
    UPT my mistake a typo, im getting old and its getting late
    Bull 6

And to Phil,

A pilots plight- flying for an airline, starting at the bottom of the ladder at a regional(which never had good pay), getting paid near nothing, and SIC time which no Major airline really values at all, waiting to upgrade to captain which will take a few yrs just so you can meet the PIC mins to even apply to a Maj. And 99% of the time these guys don't complain because we know that someday we have the chance to make it to the promise-land, a legacy carrier and then the only thing we have to worry about is deciding if we want chicken or fish for dinner.
    Not to mention the hours, the thousands or hours of studying on the ground that we have accumulated since we first got our Private tickets, to make sure that flying could become a reality.
    Sounds just like most people when they leave college and get their first job. I don't know to many jobs where people walk out of college and you're handed the keys to a BMW, a corner office, and a hefty paycheck. Most people in this country have to work hard to get where they want to go. Sounds to me that the pilots are a bit disconnected from reality if they think their plight is somehow different then anyone else in our society trying to earn a living.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

but there's a big difference when adding grafitti to the inside of a compartment in the cockpit that only pilots see, and a sticker on the exterior of an aircraft that the public sees. One is MUCH more unprofessional than the other.
    This sums it up. I doubt it would get sucked into the engine but the act itself was stupid, careless and I feel this pilot should be thankful he still has a job. As for all this other crap about plights and coming up and paying your dues it is the same for any business. With the exception of having your last name be Hilton you are not going to be handed a job making a ton of money. It takes hard work and patience.

Phil's avatar is nice! He is wearing a tie!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

It also comes down to responsibility. Yes, doctors, exexs, lawyers, may also start out at crap pay after all those years of studying and hard work, but when it comes down to it- when they screw up, the consequences are much less than those when we screw up. A lost case or a blown deal is no comparison to the lives of 200 people.

I don't think its rediculous to ask for a little more in return based on that concept.
    Worry is a sustained form of fear, caused by indecision.

I don't think it's relevant to mention the pilot's salary or anyone else's. If you have a family and live in a big city, $144,000 a year might be just enough to live comfortably, but you'd hardly be "well off."

The bottom line is the comparison of the pilot's salary to that of the executives he works for nor anything else can justify making a very unprofessional public display of your dissatisfaction with management. Case closed. Probably the only reason he wasn't fired outright was due to his union membership.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Let them picket, protest or w/e but when they are on duty they should perform up the standards the airline has set forth, its as simple as that. His punishment is just and you have no argument to the contrary.

The punishment is nothing more than a SPITEFUL reproach of power. The pilot was wrong but the response is spiteful. The fact that only $1120 was raised also makes me wonder what other AA pilots thought; That he was in the right or the wrong.

So, you're saying that pilots have it bad because they have to start from the bottom and work their way up? Because they need to spend thousands of hours studying? I know other people who do that and aren't pitied...really anyone who wants to get anywhere in their career.

Doctors all have their internships where they work like dogs for little pay and excruciating hours...and it pays off in the end. Accountants start at the bottom of the barrel and work until all hours of the night with the hopes of one day maybe becoming a CFO or President of a financial company. I don't think that this is an uncommon or unusual situation and it shouldn't be treated any differently than another occupation.

I agree and have been there. It's true in most professions.

It means I "shower" with baby-wipes and change my clothes in the lav once a day.

Not sure I'll be able to get that image out of my head next time I change my son's diaper and whip out a baby wipe.

I don't know to many jobs where people walk out of college and you're handed the keys to a BMW, a corner office, and a hefty paycheck

You don't? I came out and was given the keys to a 90 Buick, a russian mail order bride and new shoes. I guess I had it made :?

All kidding aside, Informant, I apprecaite the view you bring to the table.

Like you and unlike most here though, the $12K suspension is over the top especially consideirng what happened. It was a slap in the face and a spiteful response from the execs.

However, let me add a personal note:

Back when I was deciding on careers, I was gung ho to go into Colorado Springs, was accepted but not able to do flight school based on vision. So I took back my application and nomination.
    Then I turned toward Embry Riddle.

The best thing Embry Riddle could have ever done for me was SHOW ME HOW HARD IT WAS TO MAKE MONEY AS A PILOT. And this was back in 92. After a full presentation up here at a Holiday Inn near ISP, they went over curriculums, class experiences, and finally, they outlined what the first 5, 10, 15 and 20 years might be as a commerical airline pilot.

Seeing that, I turned toward healthcare.

In other words, Informant, can you perhaps see why you are getting the negative feedback of "why do pilots have it so bad?" May I ask, didn't you know what the industry would be like before you opted to join it?

Side note: hey, we doctors have it pretty rough too. Unfortunately, the answer is see more patients.

I haven't yet looked through the airline forums thread link someone added earlier, but the very first post says "P.S The guys here are spotters so they really dont know what they are talking about most of the time."

well then, with such blatant arrogance, any sympathy gotten from me is waning. :roll:

I see both sides and have empathy, but that comment was arrogant.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

You know, the irony of the situation is that this pilot's month paycut is probably paying for the his exec's week's salary.
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

I don't understand what the backlash is with the exec's salaries and bonuses.... I think it’s understood that in a capitalist society this is how our system is setup... These people are in these positions because over the course of their career they've proved to make good sound business decisions (most of the time) and the higher you move up in a company the more you get paid. The other fact is its known that generally the higher you move up the less "hands on" work you do as you are generally are using you're time for supervisory or planning duties.

I sit outside a call center and the person who sits outside my office does a ton more work as a percent of her time then I do. Its not saying that I don't do my job but my role isn't front line but my role allows her to do her job more efficiently but I have more flexibility in my day then she does and I get paid allot more money as Arpey gets paid allot more money then the front line workers. I believe most top level managers in today's successful companies deserve the money and extra's they get.

My apologies if you thought that was a bashlash at exec's salaries.

It wasn't.

May I ask, didn't you know what the industry would be like before you opted to join it?
    Of course but like everyone else we looked toward the sky in hopes of a better future.

May I ask, didn't you know what the industry would be like before you opted to join it?
    Of course but like everyone else we looked toward the sky in hopes of a better future.
    Right. So aren't you on a point on a thread, from A to B, somewhere in between A and slowily climbing to B?

The very slow and gradual climb up was one reason why I did not opt to fly for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by mizjasterzero
    Did I miss something? I didn't see any mention of AA in that piece. It talked about what happened at NWA, Delta & US when they came out of bankruptcy, something AA never went through.

I usually side with labor, but this was something stupid this pilot did. If I deliberately defaced company property, I'd be lucky to end up with a one month suspension.

Again, that is a very romantic way of looking at it, but its not realistic. What you are implying is that you knew the industry and what lied ahead but joined it anyway with a glimmer of hope that things would get better.

Reminds of one of my favorite quotes:

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

the addendum to that is...."unless you are talking about the aviation industry."

As I said, I thank Embry for educating me on what lied ahead. Now I don't have to complain about it.

The link to the airline pilot forum was informative. It showed a bunch of supposed (I say supposed b/c I don't know how hte site credentials users) pilots bitching and moaning about non-pilots. One goes so far to bash spotters and call out Phil D.
    Any empathy from me was lost right there.

When my field changed to having to deal with managed care, I didn't cry on a forum and
    bash others for not understanding. I weathered the change, adapted and evolved.

I can see the anger when the pilot was told to quit crying and just become an executive. That was great advice. Leave the field and reach for something else.

I know of one user here, who can speak up if he wishes, who was a pilot and seeing what the industry would be, changed gears completely.

No one is bashing pilots outright here. But coming from a field who also has the "right" to cry about their industry, I too would like to understand why pilots have it so bad.