Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: American Airlines pilot penalized for sticker on plane

Re: American Airlines pilot penalized for sticker on plane

This pilot is lucky he wasn't canned, and should be counting his blessings. If he's sooo unhappy about executives making hefty bonuses, then he should either become an executive or find a job flying elsewhere....
    Find a job flying elsewhere? Straight-up Ignorance.
    Who would give up years of seniority to go to a different airline?
    And secondly become an executive?
    Executives hop from company to company. You get a guy that was successful running a piping company and thinks he's fit to run an airline. They come for a few years and then leave.
    Really just ignorance.
    Ryan he was defacing company property and in most companies that would result in termination, so he got off easy as far as I'm concerned.
    You obviously have never worked for a 121 airline-definitely not a pilot. If so you would see the 'tags' of different guys who got bored and decided to pencil in, their own insights...like here."If your a jerk everyone is going to know about it"

Ryan AA's management kept AA out of Chap 11, didn't dump the pensions, and saved the airline. You can't say that about US, UAL, NW, or Delta.
    You give him to much credit.I remember seeing memo's for guys to suggest ways that the airline could save money that included ramp workers as well, the guy took ideas from the workers who really had the answers the whole time.
    He makes over 100,000 a year...how on earth is he getting the shaft? To bad he won't be able to afford a couple extra luxuries this year.
    He's getting docked pay that he worked years to get.Be;live it or not this guy is flying an MD80 and is a second yr captain, you guys couldn't understand half the stuff that we who actually fly do. I'm disappointed in all of you who call yourselves enthusiasts but cant comprehend the struggles of a pilot.
    Are you serious with this statement? The upper management doesn’t work? Would you like Arpey to go load planes?
    Yes I would it would be the first time anyone could say they ahve actually seen him doing work.
    His job is to plan and execute the long-term strategic plan of American Airlines.
    That may be his job, but he will leave in a few years,maybe even months. But I doubt it as there has been a return in profit.

You also blasted Clark about not being in the airline industry, even though he's an Air Force Academy grad, and you're not even a pilot yourself.
    I attended the academy as well that doesn't mean anything.

Sticker falls off from force of air passing the plane, sucks into engine. KABOOM!! IF he were to put a sticker somewhere, DONT put it where your customers can get hurt.
    You may want to do your math again...and again, because that will not happen.

What he did was not so smart but losing a months pay...ridiculous.

Informant, I am very familiar with the "rope diaries" in the cockpits, but there's a big difference when adding grafitti to the inside of a compartment in the cockpit that only pilots see, and a sticker on the exterior of an aircraft that the public sees. One is MUCH more unprofessional than the other.

This goes out to anyone, and is a serious question. Please answer in detail.

Why do pilots, many of whom make 6 figure salaries, have it so bad? I'm not saying they do or don,t but I think it's unclear to many. Several people have already said that we don't know what they go through, but no one is explaining what they go through.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Informant
    I attended the academy as well
    Yea? Cool.... What year did you graduate? What squadron were you in?

To throw my 2 cents in...I think that pilots and certain other members of the crew have it a lot better than other airline employees. There are strict union rules and policies surrounding hours, rest, pay, etc. This doesn't apply across the boards for other types of crew. Pilots do NOT have it as bad as other airline employees.

And Informant, even though you tore apart and over-analyzed everyone else's thoughts and opinions, it still boils down to the fact that what this guy did was wrong...you said so yourself. What should they have done to punish him? Smacked his hand? Put him in a corner?

Compare the situation to a different work environment (office, restaurant, hospital, anything) and I bet that at least 95% of the time the employee would have been terminated without negotiation for disrespecting his company.

After UBT
    started at Randolph in the 96th
    ended in the 434th in Holloman.

Seems like you guys made a splash across the web.
    http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/sh...ad.php?t=15047

Infomat you’re attempt at justifying what was done is really poor.

That may be his job, but he will leave in a few years, maybe even months. But I doubt it as there has been a return in profit.
    Arpey has been with AA for many years and worked his way up the ladder. Who do you think should run the airline? The same workers who defaced that plane in the picture you posted? Based on that picture I don't think I'd want them an airline let alone a baggage loader.

Yes I would it would be the first time anyone could say they have actually seen him doing work.
    Its pure ignorance to think upper management doesn't work. While they may not do the same job as you they have an important role to play in the success of the company. You're probably right that the front line workers do more actual psychical work then upper management but that’s the fact my friend, that's how it works at any large company. The CEO of my company prob does very little real hands on work but the man determines and plans out the future of the company. I'd rather know the leaders of my company are working towards a future so I have a job. AA has done a fine job at securing the future of their company. Hey you know what if you don't like where you work....then leave!

He's getting docked pay that he worked years to get.Be;live it or not this guy is flying an MD80 and is a second yr captain, you guys couldn't understand half the stuff that we who actually fly do. I'm disappointed in all of you who call yourselves enthusiasts but can’t comprehend the struggles of a pilot.
    So you're saying we should support the pilot who broke company policy and decided to take it upon himself to advertise his feelings on a plane he doesn't own? Being an enthusiast has nothing to do with supporting a pilot. The struggles of a pilot, I'm sorry mate but I'm not breaking out the violin for this guy. I fully aware that many pilots today are paid piss poor wages and have little to any life but a certain level of professionalism is expected while on duty. Flight crews have no right to take their case to the passengers while on duty. My company or myself just paid allot of money for an airline ticket I don't need or want to hear about you're problems. You know what I have my own problems to deal with, so the few hours I'm going to sit on a plane I don't need to hear yours. Fly the plane and make sure we get there safely and promote you're issues on you're time not mine.

If you want to say this guy was a scapegoat, I'd agree. AA management sent a very strong message that displays like this will not be tolerated while on duty. I applaud AA for their stance; any other company would have fired him if he were caught doing that.

FYI: We have more than just spotters on this site. Many users also work in the airline industry. Good for you for finding a couple people who disagree with us like you do. It's their prerogative just as well as it is yours.

....though, no one was namecalling until you came around.

YES! I haven't been called names on the internet in quite some time. For a while I thought I was losin' my touch. :D

Again, I'm open to hear the arguments, but no one on the "pilot's" side has actually given an argument as to what the problem is with a pilot's working conditions and salary. Many people here are just looking to learn.

After UBT

'76? A couple of my friends fathers were around that time frame. Oh and I meant what squadron did you graduate from the Academy?

And pardon my ignorance, but what does UBT stand for? I'm trying to figure out what acronym the "B" stands for, but can't figure it out....

Anyway, nice to see a fellow-grad on here...

Out of the 7 people who've replied to this thread (excluding Informant), only 3 of them are NOT in the aviation industry.

BTW, still waiting for someone to explain the pilots' plight to me.

Well, looks like NYCaviation has gotten a little heat from APF...

Anyway, I do think that 12k is a bit too heavy of a sign, for instance, in my school, some teachers stuck up Kerry '04 bumper stickers on the wall, no fine, no termination, just a "take it down"

Lets just outline some of the stuff talked about on the APF forum, for our own amusement:

P.S The guys here are spotters so they really dont know what they are talking about most of the time.
    Actually quite a few here are in the industry, I would say about half, before you attack another forum, know your facts

you should read what the users wrote.
    Many here have differing opinions, I don't agree with it, but the others do bring up valid arguments

That guy Phil D. hasn't a clue. I don't usually name call but that guy is the real toolbag.
    Now that made me laugh so hard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's what one of them said:

"Sticker falls off from force of air passing the plane, sucks into engine. KABOOM!! IF he were to put a sticker somewhere, DONT put it where your customers can get hurt."
    He does have a point when he says that, its incorrect, it isn't dangerous.

!LOL! How on earth did you find that website? I don't think any of us would waste the time but someone should set them straight. Here's what Phil D. said LOL!:
    I think we can handle ourselves ;)
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    After UBT

'76? A couple of my friends fathers were around that time frame. Oh and I meant what squadron did you graduate from the Academy?

And pardon my ignorance, but what does UBT stand for? I'm trying to figure out what acronym the "B" stands for, but can't figure it out....

Anyway, nice to see a fellow-grad on here...
    UPT my mistake a typo, im getting old and its getting late
    Bull 6

And to Phil,

A pilots plight- flying for an airline, starting at the bottom of the ladder at a regional(which never had good pay), getting paid near nothing, and SIC time which no Major airline really values at all, waiting to upgrade to captain which will take a few yrs just so you can meet the PIC mins to even apply to a Maj. And 99% of the time these guys don't complain because we know that someday we have the chance to make it to the promise-land, a legacy carrier and then the only thing we have to worry about is deciding if we want chicken or fish for dinner.
    Not to mention the hours, the thousands or hours of studying on the ground that we have accumulated since we first got our Private tickets, to make sure that flying could become a reality.

Should I really go through and list all of the common jobs and industries where people go through the SAME problems...and don't often even have the opportunity to begin making six figures in their career?

Again, I'm not saying pilots have it easy or don't deserve a decent pay. But sometimes I find it to be a bit over the top. The argument you mention is honestly just not enough to warrant any pity from me or the general public.

So, you're saying that pilots have it bad because they have to start from the bottom and work their way up? Because they need to spend thousands of hours studying? I know other people who do that and aren't pitied...really anyone who wants to get anywhere in their career.

Doctors all have their internships where they work like dogs for little pay and excruciating hours...and it pays off in the end. Accountants start at the bottom of the barrel and work until all hours of the night with the hopes of one day maybe becoming a CFO or President of a financial company. I don't think that this is an uncommon or unusual situation and it shouldn't be treated any differently than another occupation.

I know a lot of what pilots go through, but it can be worse. Allow me to explain my job to you in detail.

I am a supervisor with an airline, and I travel with our aircraft to some pretty remote places around the world. I oversee and manage a LOT of our operations at stations that are not manned by our company, and play a pretty important role.

I am not considered crew.

I have no union, or the protections that come with it.

On a 6 day trip (though some are much longer), I can go through just as many countries, some several times during that same trip. And while the F/As and pilots swap out, I often stay with the aircraft.

That means I rarely get hotels, and sleep in a regular seat for days (in a suit).

It means I eat airline meals for days.

It means I "shower" with baby-wipes and change my clothes in the lav once a day.

I don't get weekends off. I've missed EVERY holiday in the past year with the exception of one. I have not and will not ever get more than two days off at a time, except for when I'm actually able to use my vacation once every couple years.

After a 5 or 6 day trip, I sometimes will as much as one day off before being sent back out to do it again.

All that, and I get paid barely over $31k. I get no overtime as well.

Why would I allow myself to be ABUSED so much? Because I love aviation.

I miss home, my family, I've lost weight (in a bad way), and have sacrificed almost everything since I took this job, but when I'm out there all over the world, doing what I do....it feels great.

Many people on this site also work in the industry, but we are ALL enthusiasts. That's what the passion is about.

There are some great people over at APF.com, but some bad apples as well. So maybe you should tell some of those whiny bitches to read over here a bit more to remember why they took their job to begin with.