Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lighters to be Allowed on Airliners Again

Re: Lighters to be Allowed on Airliners Again

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    As for training I know they do go through a variety of tests and classes. I do have to ask EMS what kind of soft skills or customer service training do you're people go through? This itself could be a key reason for some of examples we bring up.
    The TSA officers are probably the most trained government employees. They have to go through three hours of training a week. There is classroom and computer training. Besides daily tests by inspectors, the x-rays machines run constant tests of images. Screeners must recertify every year or they are terminated (The process has changed a little with quarterly tests instead of one annual). This is one of the reasons for the reported high turnover.

As far as customer service it is stressed but you do get what you pay for...
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

DHS is routinely in our NY HQ office and wharehouses where we have them but the screening is extremely random. We have more screening of our paperwork than items in all actuality. We actually have a department if you want to call it that that is dedicated to those things and dealing with those issues.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Well you asked for suggestions, this is pretty much what I've put in the surveys and questions I've been asked. As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, I'm very well aware it’s not perfect and one has to accept the risk of air travel and what might happen. I'll be flying again this Friday so the dance continues. I will say its not all that bad to get through the checkpoint. I'm generally through in less then a min at ISP, its just a matter of knowing the routine and being prepared and hoping you don't get stuck behind Big Al who hasn't traveled since 1970 and has more metal on him then a bronze stature.

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    DHS is routinely in our NY HQ office and wharehouses where we have them but the screening is extremely random. We have more screening of our paperwork than items in all actuality. We actually have a department if you want to call it that that is dedicated to those things and dealing with those issues.
    Those are the inspectors not screeners. The current regulations put the responsibility for ensuring the IACs (Independant Air Carriers) know the shippers they deal with and are trustworthy to screen what they ship.

Trust me no one in DHS likes this but there is big political push back on this.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Well you asked for suggestions, this is pretty much what I've put in the surveys and questions I've been asked. As I stated in an earlier post in this thread, I'm very well aware it’s not perfect and one has to accept the risk of air travel and what might happen. I'll be flying again this Friday so the dance continues. I will say its not all that bad to get through the checkpoint. I'm generally through in less then a min at ISP, its just a matter of knowing the routine and being prepared and hoping you don't get stuck behind Big Al who hasn't traveled since 1970 and has more metal on him then a bronze stature.
    And I knew what the answers would be.

Thus you found the problem. If it wasn't for passengers this job would be easy!!! :twisted:
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    God forbid the future holds a plot to smuggle crap onto a plane using tampons...
    The Russian government blames two Chechen women for the bombs that simultaneously took down two jets after takeoff from Moscow in August 2004. It was initially speculated that they had smuggled the explosives on board via their holiest of holies. I'm not sure if the Russians ever definitively said this is what actually happened.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    God forbid the future holds a plot to smuggle crap onto a plane using tampons...
    The Russian government blames two Chechen women for the bombs that simultaneously took down two jets after takeoff from Moscow in August 2004. It was initially speculated that they had smuggled the explosives on board via their holiest of holies. I'm not sure if the Russians ever definitively said this is what actually happened.
    Actually was explosive filled bras. That's were the full patdowns came from.
    Ronald Reagan

And the ban is GONE!! I am going to test TSA in a few days bringing a lighter and putting it in one of the little change bins.
    "lol retart"

Quote Originally Posted by stuart schechter
    And the ban is GONE!! I am going to test TSA in a few days bringing a lighter and putting it in one of the little change bins.
    You do that!!
    Ronald Reagan