Thread: Aviation Response To Steam Explosion

Aviation Response To Steam Explosion

So around 6:05 this evening a huge steam pipe exploded in Midtown Manhattan at East 41st and Lex/3rd Ave.
    Just an unbelievable sight. I'm switching around channels but mainly kept on Channel 7. Didnt see any of the ENG
    copters airborne so I have to figure they are down due to weather. Then on ABC at around 7PM anchorman Bill Ritter
    said they have just seen the first NYPD helicopter on scene with FDNY officials aboard surveying the area. He started
    complaining that it took about an hour and 5 minutes to get this helicopter airborne with FDNY aboard and he lamented
    that maybe we didnt learn anything from 9/11 about a quick response with both agencies working together. I started
    thinking well I dont see YOUR helicopter and maybe the weather had grounded PD/AU as well. Thankfully NYPD
    spokesperson Paul Brown had also heard Ritter and he QUICKLY corrected Ritter telling him that THREE (3) NYPD
    helicopters were airborne within 10 minutes of the incident with one (probably the command & control 412, N23FH)
    relaying pictures to ground units AND FDNY was aboard.
    Knucklehead media.
    Fox 5 SkyFOX 5 was the first ENG on scene around 7:15 or so and Newscopter 7 didnt get on scene until about
    7:55. I dont think NBC or CBS even went airborne. These ships fly out of NJ so maybe the weather was bad over
    across the Hudson.
    The one incredible picture was of the red tow truck IN the crater!! That was wild.
    What a day with the crazy T-storms this morning now this.

Re: Aviation Response To Steam Explosion

There were t-storms just west of the city at the time of the explosion, so if there were any delay in getting the birds up there, it would certainly be justified. That would explain why the news choppers coming from Jersey delayed their response.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Joel Bearmen was up for CBS.

PD Aviation was over 80 St/62 Ave in Middle Village on a perp search around 7-7:30 so they were working.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I was on-scene at 1810, and I'd say maybe 15 minutes after that I saw an NYPD helo overhead... So there was definately one there by 1825, probably a little earlier, and I just didn't see it...

I had LGA CBA on as well as NYPD citywide , N23FH was overhead not long after the initial new report along with 18 and 12

>I had LGA CBA on as well as NYPD citywide , N23FH was overhead not long after the initial new report along with 18 and 12<

Reminds me of the response after the Corey Lidle crash on the Upper east Side. I had just left
    a doctors appointment on 86/5th when my wife called telling me of a plane/copter crash into a
    building. Well no hurry to return downtown to work I walked over to the area. Two of the new
    PD Koalas were circling the area, 23FH was over on the Hudson River and Aviation 12/14 was
    hovering low level by the crash site. The ENGs were pushed over to Central Park. Pretty wild
    scene reminding me of 9/11 the way people were reacting on the street since this was maybe
    25 minutes after the crash.