Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midtown subway steam explosion... *Pictures and Video Added

Re: Midtown subway steam explosion... *Pictures and Video Added

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    I was obviously joking....especially since your signature used to be something along the lines of "something something.....keep shooting!!!"

Didn't mean to offend.
    No offense taken.

Does anyone notice how HISS repsonds to all of my posts? I think he wants to be just like me. LOLOL Can't say I blame him.

Anyhow good stuff again Clark. Some of the video from yesterday was pretty unreal, I'm shocked more ppl didn't get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76

Some of the video from yesterday was pretty unreal, I'm shocked more ppl didn't get killed.

Same here, especially in that area. That area is packed during Rush Hour.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Great coverage there Clark but do you think it wise to be in an area that asbestos may have been released into the air? I think I would have got out of there ASAP!
    It's OK, Tommy, Christie Whitman stopped by to say the air quality was fine, nothing to worry about

And yes, great shots Clark!
    Yea, a bunch of my friends are dying because of Christie's BS.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic
    Highway....Was that you playing with the siren during Bloomie's press Conference?!?!?
    Nice shot of the MERV. I miss the days of the MCIs and triage in the old cheese bus MERVs.
    LOL, I said to myself it is probably a bus trying to get through and now we will have another mayor that hates EMS.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

What does MERV do exactly?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

My GUESS on it is that its a MAJOR mobile command truck.
    "lol retart"

So after I heard the area was all clear and all tests came back negative for asbestos, I went back today to try and get some pics. The frozen zone is sealed pretty shut, but there were ways in. I couldn't get to the crater, but I got about a block away. Props to Con-Ed and Verizon for working on just about every street corner in the area, and the NYPD for doing what seemed to be a good job keeping people moving in the area....

Oh and if you're even thinking of driving in the area, don't do it. Traffic is ridiculous on the East Side. 5th Ave is bumper-to-bumper, Madison is bumper-to-bumper, 1st is bumper-to-bumper, 34th is bumper-to-bumper....

Here are some pics from today:

Pouring Rain on 38th and Lex... This is where the News Media is set up, and supposedly the southern border of the Frozen Zone on Lex

On 40th and Lex looking at the site. Can't see much due to Con-Ed crews in the area

News Media is all between 38th and 39th Street and Lex and on side-streets

Looking up 3rd Ave at 41st Street.... Empty

42nd Street, completely closed between 2nd and Madison

Firefighters hosing off 3rd Ave between 42nd and 43rd. Not really sure what they are hosing off, I saw a lot of this in the area, but there was most likely no dust or debris over here. Maybe just taking precautionary measures?

Looking up Lexington Avenue at 43rd Street

Looking down Lex at 43rd

3rd Ave, completely empty

Police diverting traffic at 34th and 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    What does MERV do exactly?
    Mobile Emergency Room Vehicle. Can treat multiple patients.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    I was obviously joking....especially since your signature used to be something along the lines of "something something.....keep shooting!!!"

Didn't mean to offend.
    No offense taken.

Does anyone notice how HISS repsonds to all of my posts? I think he wants to be just like me. LOLOL Can't say I blame him.

Anyhow good stuff again Clark. Some of the video from yesterday was pretty unreal, I'm shocked more ppl didn't get killed.
    Be like you or beat the living piss out of you on the beach this weekend. ;) GAME ON!!!! :twisted:
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

the MERV is a mobile ER. i think the one FDNY has can handle up to 2 patients at one time.

the reason they're hosing down the streets is in case asbestos had been released and settles on the surface. this way they wash it into the sewers and off the streets where it can get kicked up be people and vehicles where someone can breath it in. also, keeping the street damp will cause any asbestos that would settle to stay there and not get kicked up again.

man, i really miss that job!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Friable asbestos is the danger. As long the material is kept wet the changes of inhalation are diminished.

I was EVOC certified for the good old NYC*EMS MERVs. Nothing like going lights and sirens in an extended school bus. Except for MERV 3 which reverse didn't work.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    Friable asbestos is the danger. As long the material is kept wet the changes of inhalation are diminished.

I was EVOC certified for the good old NYC*EMS MERVs. Nothing like going lights and sirens in an extended school bus. Except for MERV 3 which reverse didn't work.
    i remember seeing those old ass things when i was in the academy, not sure if they were still operating when i hit the streets though. by then i think the new ones were delivered.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I made the mistake of attempting to wait for a bus at 34th and Lex yesterday. I never take busses in Manhattan...EVER. I don't know why I decided that yesterday would be my first one, but after waiting for far too long, I realized that it was a bad idea and just started walking. Then I started looking around and realized what a mess traffic was. It honestly didn't occur to me, as traffic is always bad in that area!

I have heard a few versions of the MERV acronym. Mobile Emergency Room Vehicle. Mobile Emergency Response Vehicle, Major Event Response Vehicle. I worked the MERV 3 times. AA587 down the block from my house in 2001 with Tim Keller (RIP) and Ed Pearce. (Yes Highway he did leave the dispatch desk!). A Subway fire on Flatbush ave in summer 2003, and a 4 alarm fire in Sea Gate Brooklyn summer 2005. It can handle quite a few patients. I believe there are 10 oxygen ports and room for 6 supine (lying down) patients and another 6 seated. Man was Hammer (EMS Chief) pissed when he saw 2 non FDNY Medics running the show in Sea Gate! A few Hospital based EMS agencies also have their own MERV vehicles.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic
    I have heard a few versions of the MERV acronym. Mobile Emergency Room Vehicle. Mobile Emergency Response Vehicle, Major Event Response Vehicle. I worked the MERV 3 times. AA587 down the block from my house in 2001 with Tim Keller (RIP) and Ed Pearce. (Yes Highway he did leave the dispatch desk!). A Subway fire on Flatbush ave in summer 2003, and a 4 alarm fire in Sea Gate Brooklyn summer 2005. It can handle quite a few patients. I believe there are 10 oxygen ports and room for 6 supine (lying down) patients and another 6 seated. Man was Hammer (EMS Chief) pissed when he saw 2 non FDNY Medics running the show in Sea Gate! A few Hospital based EMS agencies also have their own MERV vehicles.

which hospitals? i can't remember any. seriously though, in this day and age i can't imagine a hostpital funding a purchase like that. cabrini is closing soon, and SVCMC sold it's staten island facility. shame...