Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midtown subway steam explosion... *Pictures and Video Added

Re: Midtown subway steam explosion

Holy crap! I work at 33rd and Lex and should have been going through there on the 6, right at 6pm. I left early to go uptown today and somehow didn't even know about this until now. I heard some announcements while waiting for the N about a "police investigation" and the 4-5-6 not running, but this is pretty friggin scary even if it isn't "suspicous."

OK, sorry it took so long... Kinda got lazy and was busy doing some stuff...

Anyway, here are some pics of today.. Yes, they aren't as good as the news quality, or as good as some of your guys' pics with your Nikon Two Million times zoom cameras, but they aren't edited and are "real life amateur" photography... ooooohhhhh ahhhhhhh

Some notes:

- I've never seen anything like this at all, it was incredible. The steam could be heard from my street, which is on 33rd street, 8 blocks and downhill from the scene. 2 blocks away from the scene, forget about it, it was soo loud, and coming out so quickly; just incredible... Eerily similar to 9/11 in certain aspects....

- Response time seemed to be very good, especially given the fact that there was a huge sinkhole in the middle of the street with steam pouring out in all directions, and that it was Rush Hour.

- NYPD did a great job handling the crowd there, maintaining a good order and discipline. They also did a good job or cordoning off the immediate area to cars.

- When one person runs away from the scene, people will follow suit even if they have no idea what they are running from. lol

- When a person runs towards the scene, everyone stops and follows that person...

- Drivers in NYC/Long Island (making an assumption here) must be clueless or just not care. People in their cars actually thought they were going to go somewhere. These emergencies vehicles were trying to get up 3rd Ave, and cars going crosstown on 36th street on the approach to the Midtown Tunnel wouldn't stop to let traffic on 3rd Ave move out of the way to let these emergency vehicles move. The Pedestrians would just stand there and point, and drivers would continue to go across the street. I finally stopped in the Middle of the Street, and stopped the cars from crossing, at which point a NYPD SUV pulled up and we kinda just gave that "people are ****ing idiots" look, while he went to block traffic.

Some even more clearly amateur videos will follow...

Arriving on scene about 610PM

Getting Closer

On 38th Street

About 2 blocks away from ground zero. This was the closest we could get at the time. The police later started moving people back, and this was the closest the media could get the whole time.

Same story

I think the is the best picture out of all of them... 2 blocks away, the thing was raging

Rando Fire Truck starting spraying water everywhere

The NYPD's Communication Post arriving on scene... I'd say they didn't get there until almost 645PM

This National Guardsman was trying to direct traffic the whole time I was there, but wasn't very effective at it... He needed to be a little more vocal and assertive IMO

I couldn't not throw in an aviation picture! The NYPD Helo around the Chrysler Bldg

These guys were going nowhere fast

The FDNY's Emergency Response Truck

The Cops Finally Closing off 3rd Avenue at 34th Street

Ok, now for some really amateur video I took... I think I was zoomed in on the 2nd one, which is why when I move the camera around, it gets all blurry.... The 2nd one is like a minute and 50 seconds, the first one is short...
    Sorry for the quality, but I think it gives it character... 8)

7XLomFWRqK4

JIPl7wv8lRw

Thanks for sharing. VERY interesting. Better than what you see on the news for sure!

Re: Midtown subway steam explosion... *Pictures and Video Added

That is F%#*ing intense! The sound and speed of the escapeing steam mezmorized me.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

UPDATE ON THE CITY’S RESPONSE TO THE STEAM PIPE EXPLOSION

No Air Samples Test Positive for Asbestos, Clean-Up Plan for Debris and Equipment That Tested Positive for Asbestos Began Overnight

Individuals Who Live and Work in the Frozen Zone Will Not be Permitted to Enter the Area During Clean-Up

The City’s Office of Emergency Management (OEM) continues to coordinate the inter-agency response to the steam pipe explosion on Lexington Avenue. City agencies continue to operate in the area. All emergencies should be reported to 911.

The following is an update of the City’s response to the affected area:

Department of Environmental Protection

The Department of Environmental Protection’s Bureau of Environmental Compliance has conducted an assessment of air and debris in the area and determined that of eight air samples taken, none tested positive for asbestos. Out of 10 bulk samples – debris and dust – taken from the surrounding area, six registered positive for asbestos and four were negative. With the positive bulk sample readings, DEP will continue testing to further determine the contents of the debris at and away from the site of the explosion.

Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

While exposure to asbestos over many years carries known health risks, the brief exposures that people may have experienced after last night’s steam pipe break are not likely to cause long-term health consequences. Developing an asbestos-related illness after being exposed for a short time – even at high levels – is very unlikely. Although we can never say if something is completely safe, from all the information we have obtained, there are unlikely to be long term physical health consequences.

OSHA, the federal Occupational Safety & Health Administration, is on-scene to make sure that workers in the area are taking proper precautions.

As detailed during the Mayor’s briefing, people who may came into contact with the steam or debris should take a shower and place their clothes in plastic bags for cleaning or disposal.

People inside buildings in the frozen zone should keep windows closed and switch air-conditioners to re-circulate the air inside instead of drawing in air from outside.

For more information on asbestos please visit:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/ei/eiasbest.shtml

Clean-Up Began Last Night

The clean-up of dirt and debris has begun, led by specially trained contractors. The clean-up of

3rd Avenue has been completed and will be re-opened following electrical work necessary to support the network in the area.

Frozen Zone Remains in Place

In an abundance of caution, and to facilitate an expeditious clean-up, the frozen zone will remain in place. The frozen zone is comprised of the area between 40th Street and 43rd Street and between Vanderbilt Avenue and Third Avenue. While individuals who are already in the frozen zone are permitted to stay where they are, individuals are not permitted to enter the zone from outside the area. As clean-up work progresses, the City will work to shrink the size of the frozen zone.

Members of the media are requested to emphasize to their viewers, listeners, and readers that people who work in the frozen zone, between 40th and 43rd Streets and between Vanderbilt Avenue to Third Avenue, will not be permitted to enter the area on Thursday morning.

Equipment Staging Area Established

A limited-access equipment staging area created by OEM, the NYPD, the Department of Environmental Protection, and the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene exists from 38th St to 45th St from Park Avenue to 3rd Avenue to allow emergency equipment into the area. While residents and employees of businesses will be allowed into the equipment staging area, vehicles will not be allowed to enter.

Department of Buildings

Buildings inspectors and forensic engineers remain on the scene to assist the Office of Emergency Management with structural assessments and engineering expertise.

Community Assistance Unit

The Mayor's Community Assistance Unit continues to work with affected building owners and local elected officials.

Department of Transportation

The following streets in the area surrounding the steam pipe explosion remain closed to vehicles, as previously announced:

Lexington Avenue is closed from 57th Street to 34th Street.
    Third Avenue is closed from 38th Street to 42nd Street.
    Park Avenue is closed from 54th Street to 34th Street.
    42nd Street is closed from Park Avenue to Third Avenue.
    Vanderbilt Avenue is closed for its entire length from 42nd Street to 47th Street.

MTA

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has informed OEM that there are no structural defects or breaches of the subway infrastructure. In addition, no debris from the explosion was found in the subway tunnels in the area.

Metro-North continues to operate regular service into and out of Grand Central Terminal. As announced at the 8:00 briefing, customers may only enter and exit Grand Central via the Met Life Building and Grand Central North at 47th Street.

The 4, 5 and 6 IRT lines have returned to a normal schedule, but service is bypassing Grand Central at reduced speed. The 7 line continues to bypass Grand Central at reduced speed. The 42nd Street Shuttle (S) remains suspended

Passengers on the 4 and 5 lines traveling southbound and headed to destinations near Grand Central are advised to, if possible, transfer to a downtown 6 train at the 59th/Lexington station for service to 51st Street or 33rd Street. Passengers on the 4 and 5 lines traveling northbound and headed to destinations near Grand Central are advised to, if possible, transfer to an uptown #6 train at 14th Street/Union Square station for service to 33rd Street.

Bus Service is re-routed in the vicinity of the area on the M101, M102, M103 and M98. The M104 and M42 buses terminate at Times Square/42nd Street.

-30-
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Great coverage there Clark but do you think it wise to be in an area that asbestos may have been released into the air? I think I would have got out of there ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Great coverage there Clark but do you think it wise to be in an area that asbestos may have been released into the air? I think I would have got out of there ASAP!
    It's OK, Tommy, Christie Whitman stopped by to say the air quality was fine, nothing to worry about

And yes, great shots Clark!

Highway....Was that you playing with the siren during Bloomie's press Conference?!?!?
    Nice shot of the MERV. I miss the days of the MCIs and triage in the old cheese bus MERVs.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Are those the words of a true photographer!?!?

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

Nice coverage Clark. Nice pictures also of the stem blowing out of the street.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Haha, I thought about that, which is partly why I only stayed in the "area" (i.e. two blocks from the scene) for just a few minutes. It was actually kind of frightening, because the ground was literally rumbling and the steam was so loud, I was seriously worried that manholes around the area might start going.
    Also, the steam was rushing up sooo quickly, that I assumed any type of asbestos particle or the like was immediately blown vertically. Seeing as how I live 8 blocks from this thing, on the 16th floor, I'm probably more screwed up here than I was down on street level!

Plus, I needed to get pictures, obviously, which is of utmost concern....

EDIT: Looks like there was no real asbestos concern, and the area has been partially re-opened, which is always positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose

Are those the words of a true photographer!?!?
    I've seen relatives die of Asbestos related lung cancer, I'd rather live to shoot something else then to risk it.

I was obviously joking....especially since your signature used to be something along the lines of "something something.....keep shooting!!!"

Didn't mean to offend.

Ah Mel don't take it to heart. Tommy had to deal with the French Canadian Flight crews yesterday so he is in a bad mood! I do not blame him.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"